My poor Clementine aint fine :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhotchick, Nov 8, 2011.

1. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    My poor chicken has a swollen eye, and I have no clue what happen.Her other eye is fine. She is in a area with a full grown rooster and a little bantam hen that is not aggresive at all. I gently washed it with warm water and it hurt her. I have no idea what it could be . She has no puncture wounds or bite marks. We have a good size chicken family and this is the first I have seen anything like this. Here is a couple pics. someone please help.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, dear. It does look sore, the poor girl.
    I'm thinking a boric acid rinse might help, but I don't know what strength would be best.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    You can treat this with Terramycin eye ointment, which you can buy at Tractor Supply. Neosporin can be used as well. Here is a related thread that mentions rinsing the eye with a saline solution first and gives specifics on how often to treat. Is she having any other symptoms, like wheezing or eye drainage? If so those cold be a sign of a respiratory illness. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=183078

4. redhotchick

redhotchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Fort Worth
    She is acting fine.She is a Pheonix & is in with a rooster.Thier roost is high because of his tail & she is up on it. She is in a pen with grass & I will go to tractor supply in the morning. I am so worried.

5. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    If there are no other symptoms it is most likely a localized eye infection and not a more serious respiratory infection. Hopefully treating with the eye ointment will clear it up. Good luck with this [​IMG] Keep us posted on how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by