My Poor cockerel

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GD91, Dec 10, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I've just been let down with a buyer for him. DH nods his head to cull him. I've culled cockerels before but they never

A. Lived in the house.

B. Sat on my knee everyday making cute sounds.

C. Learn't their names and come running.

D. Untied my shoe laces for fun.

He's just such a - PET!- & I've got so
    attatched!
    Even the dogs and the cat view him as a friend & not food anymore.
    He's a Pekin bantam & everything about him is adorable. Now I'm a really practical person, but the way he's behaved - I let him out with the others & he just ignores them & trys to come back in the flat.

And when I say ignore I mean apart from a little flirting with the hens first thing, he then just stands apart from them all and follows me when I go out, flops at my feet and makes those stupid noises to be petted or picked up.

He started living indoors at night because we moved and didn't want to upset our neighbors with his crowing. So I (stupidly) decided he could come in and be indoors at night until he was rehomed or culled.

Now he's a good lad & sleeps until the afternoon (lazy) under the stairs.
    Except for when we go to bed, he has full house access.

I'm talking his own bed, own dishes in the kitchen etc...

I feel such a muppet.

The practical side of me says;

He's too tiny to eat properly, I can breed him with my Pekin hen, I have limited space, I should cull him, I can't cull him, I want to keep him, it doesn't make sense to keep him, I have nobody to cull him for me, I wouldn't let anyone cull him etc, etc, etc

:-(

Oh, dear! What to do.

My poor, pompous pekin.
    I call him my Trouble In A Bubble, He knows his name. Crazy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds like he's bound to live his life as a house chicken.

3. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    To be honest I don't believe in keeping chickens indoors constantly. I do kick him outside everyday. But after about ten mins he wants to get back in, though I leave him out all day. If the door is opened he dives at it.

I'm wondering if he still has the potential to be aggressive or is this it? He's only about 14 weeks & unmated.

I wish I had a farm, would be better to manage than neighbors happiness levels.

I thought it would be so easy, but it turns out if you keep a bloody chicken indoors for an indefinate length of time with no bounderies IT WILL INGRAINE ITS FEATHERY BUTT INTO YOUR UPHOLSTERY AND STICK TO IT LIKE VELCRO!

You have been warned!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    [​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Keep trying to rehome him. He's young, and his behavior may change as the hormones hit.

6. GD91

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    What happens then?

Do they get fiesty and then calm down?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by