My poor drake! The girls just won't leave him alone.

AngieChick

Poultry Elitist
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Willamette Valley, OR
I have 2 sets of ducks with staggered ages. 2 of the ducks are about 5 weeks older than my drake. Though they aren't laying yet, they are becoming much more "amorous". Today when I filled up their pond they immediately started head bobbing at my drake and flattened out their wings. The poor boy didn't know what to do, he's not even 16 weeks old yet, and looked quite confused when those 2 girls kept calling to him. One of them goosed him a bit when he didn't take her up on her advances. Poor guy, he barely even has his grown up plumage.

The same 2 ducks have been bobbing their heads at me as well. When they did it the first time I had no clue what they were doing. I honestly became concerned that they might have some sort of a nutrient deficiency
roll.png
Silly me, all of the frozen peas I've been giving them has obviously sent them the wrong message.

I had no idea that ducks were so amorous, the goofy things.

Last edited:
Girls will do that even if the boy isn't around. In a few weeks he will be thrilled to have such lovely ladies. I am sure he will figure it out.

We do not have any drakes but our girls will flirt with me. It is pretty gross to have a duck show off her back end. Shameless hussy. My husband calls them pervs when they do it to him and sprays them with the hose to give them a cold shower
tongue.png

I'm not worried, I know the big boy will catch up quickly. It did take me by surprise, though. I am used to my rooster harassing the hens, so it cracks me up to see it the other way around with my ducks.

That's hilarious, Suburbanduckmom
lol.png

That's too funny!
lol.png
I have way more ducks than drakes and let me tell ya, those boys are busy!
wink.png
It IS funny seeing the younger ones with the older ones. We sit out in the yard in the afternoons while we fill all the pools and just enjoy the silly show.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom