My poor GIrl Alone.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by annie3001, Dec 7, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Hello.
    My large coop, which is actually 2 coops connected and now open in the middle (see my byc for what i mean). well, anyways, i have 10 chickens, 9 are in one coop roosting, sleeping nice, and one is lonely on a roost in the other coop. alone. heat lamp is on. for 1.
    I am sad for this little lady. shes may favorite chicken, i feel like i want to just bring her in the house. (but hubby would not allow it). So all her life the other birds dont accept her, this little lady has to eats alone, drinks alone.
    It has taken her many months to come join the others and free range outside.
    I do baby her, she needs someone!
    just thought i'd share. [​IMG]

so as i put this in this category: why did i build such a big coop?
    if its in the wrong area, plz mod's feel free to move.

sincerely,
    sad mother

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    awe you just need to get her some buddies of her own:)

3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Get some that are younger than her so she'll be at the top of the pecking order.
    And THAT'S why you have such a big coop...so you can have more chickens!!!

4. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh, I feel for you -- I have a girl kind of like that. She has one friend and one who puts up with her... and two who can't be with her because they are mean.

Mine got a friend because the friend was injured and couldn't be aggressive. How about if you get a couple of chicks and introduce them as friends when they are about 8 weeks old so... brood them nearby, let them have lots of supervised visits. I hope she finds a friend.

I was worried about mine having to eat alone, till I finally decided that having a plate for just her is fine. If I'd hung on to the notion that she had to eat with the group then she would not have made the third "friend". They don't eat together, but they do live together pretty well. It's hard, isn't it. It's like being the mother to the ugliest, gawkiest kid in the class.

Jenny

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Thanks for the kind words. I checked on her today, still alone, in this big O'l coop.
    she makes her squeaky noises when i talk with her. I am planning on hatching my own baby chicks, but not till feburary. Its going to be a long winter. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

When you go check on them at night, could you move her onto the roost of the other coop with the others (after dark)??? Maybe try doing that for about a week straight?? You've probably already tried that. The only other thing I could think of was a dog crate in the garage (if you have one) for night time. But that would involve putting her in it at night and back out in the morning. [​IMG]

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I sometimes find one roosting by herself I move them over & put the loner in. I did this a few times & now their all together.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I have tried moving her with the others at night. The others know of her arrival, sleeping or not. [​IMG]
    Shes just gonna have us humans as her friends. i cant wait till springtime!!!! well atleast warmer weather!!! [​IMG] (till she will get chicks))))

9. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    update on my little princess!! She had company this morning!! Partly because the temps here were about 12 degrees and her side houses the heat lamp. i saw another chicken in the window!! so i know shes not alone! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by