My poor girls w/o food, water or shelter in 20-degree temps!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 16, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Here in the PNW we're experiencing a very unusual temp cold snap. It's not to get above freezing until maybe this weekend, which is the longest/coldest it's been since the 1950s!

Last night I rushed home to check on my 4 girls. I had moved their fodo & water into the coop that morning so that it was at least in a slightly warmer spot. Well, I came aroudn the corner and there's my BSL outside the run. [​IMG]

It's dark out!! How did she get out of the run??? I can't figure it out. She has never escaped the run. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the nesting box door wasn't 100% latched because we'd put a heating pad in the coop via the nesting box door. Maybe she squeezed out that way? Since none of the others are laying, that makes the most sense: they wouldn't be in the nesting boxes.

On top of that, she's my only layer so I had to find where she'd done the deed. With the help of a flashlight I found it, frozen in some dirt.

But wait.. what's that noise under the coop? Why are the other girls under the coop instead of inside it?? [​IMG] Turns out the coop door had blown shut. Who knows how long they'd been outside with no water or food. [​IMG] My poor girls!

DBF and I dusted off their old brooder and stuffed all 4 girls into it for the night. They spent the night in a corner of the kitchen. They were happy to be warm and have food/water. Once they settled down they were pretty quiet. Surprising how all it takes to keep them in a box is a blanket over the top.

Suffice it to say, my kitchen didn't smell so great this morning. [​IMG] We'll bring them inside again tonight (ick) so we can guarantee they're hydrated & fed.

Even though they're OK I feel awful! They didn't have food or water or shelter for most of the day. Gwen lays between 10-1 so for her to have laid outside the coop meant that they were probabaly locked outside of the coop/run from noon until I got home around 7.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Thank goodness everything turned out ok! You shouldn't feel awful, these things happen. It has 25 below 0 here. I have been worried sick about mine. In reality they will be fine. They have a small heater in there, keeps it about 27 or so. I take them fresh water every few hours. Take care and stay warm!!

3. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    Good you found them!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad they're okay, you've had quite a shock. Use the experience to rethink the coop openings, think of it as a predator exercise too. Every time we're challenged, we better our coops! [​IMG]

5. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are some tough chickens...I'm glad everything turned out okay. I miss Tacoma....we lived in Yelm for sometime and I so miss Washington. Why did we move back to CA??? Why??? Have a great Christmas! [​IMG]

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Shhh... don't tell anyone how great the PNW is! We can't take any more transplants - the traffic is bad enough!! [​IMG]

7. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Thank God nothing worse came of it!! You know, don't think I'm an old stick in the mud but I wonder how good it is for them to go from freezing cold temps to warm and then back to freezing and... You get the picture. Just thinking. Could be bad for their systems and cause them to get sick?

8. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Quote:Shhh... don't tell anyone how great the PNW is! We can't take any more transplants - the traffic is bad enough!! [​IMG]

Naww, MN is way nicer! Don't you want -40 windchill and a high of negative one, coupled with stinging snow? C'mon, you know you want it... [​IMG]

9. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Naww, MN is way nicer! Don't you want -40 windchill and a high of negative one, coupled with stinging snow? C'mon, you know you want it... [​IMG]

Sure.....MN sounds great. [​IMG] We plan on moving back to the PNW. Hopefully sooner than later, the people are just so much nicer and down to earth. CA people suck! Not all...just most....priorities are all screwy. And I hear ya on the traffic...had to commute to work on I-5 from Yelm into Tacoma (downtown) everyday....hated it! But at least the drivers are nicer in WA. [​IMG]

10. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I use a small piece of chain attached to the door to slip over a bent nail on the coop to keep the door from blowing shut, its a cheap and easy solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by