My poor Golden puppy hurt his?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by thewarriorchild, Jun 13, 2008.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    He was limping when he got up this morning and still is. his shoulder towards the front is warm... I feel so bad for my baby. He was in the crate (a new larger one) so what could he have done?? I can give him motrin? I forget I have to look it up. Any ideas? Oh yea front foot, which I find odd.

Oh yea and when do they grow out of this pet and pee phase, I am afraid to touch him!! I forgot all about that!

Deb

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Oh no, no motrin!!! He can have plain aspirin but he really needs to see a vet since it could be broken.

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    BABY ASPRIN ,,,, definitly take him to the vet. Poor baby I hope it is nothing serious. Perhaps he was stung??

4. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    No it is not broken he can put some weight on it, I felt the whole thing. nothing pains him till you pull it , well if he is laying down and you pull it up towards the ceiling a little that was the only time he cried... odd Our bassett went to FL so he is all alone, the two of them used to play hard, lots of running etc... Hmmm

5. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    stung? ...I will have to look I guess it is possible, maybe a spider? I do not see any bees in the house... I would think if he got stung it would have been I was with him and he is never outside unattended.

Thanks guys [​IMG]

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    I'd keep him restricted (crated and leash walked only) for 2-3 days (no pain meds) and if it doesn't resolve see the Dr.
    If he slept wrong or just twisted it somehow in his crate overnight then it should feel better pretty quick. If he isn't feeling better in a few days it may be something more.

7. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Quote:Yea I think that is what I am going to do. He seems to be putting some weight on it and was out for a while today. He saw my brother who was visiting and put some weight on it to get to him. I feel bad for him [​IMG] The only other thing I can think of is that he dislocated it but I think that would cause more pain. He moves it and such. I guess a growing puppy could be prone to growing aches/pains/pulls etc. Thanks [​IMG]

8. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Large breed pups are also prone to OCD and/or elbow dysplasia. Either could cause forelimb lameness in a young, growing dog.

9. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    Thank God he is almost back to his normal self. Now this is odd, I put him in the crate, a new larger crate last night and he cried and I let him out. (I know I was a pushover) Now the night before he could not have gone anywhere so I let him sleep where he was resting. This would have been I think the second night that he slept in the crate, the first night being the one he got hurt. The cat was sleeping in it today so I doubt there is anything in it and we have the blankets in there. It isnt like we have scorpions or something here....very strange. Aside from size the only difference is that the tray is metal instead of plastic. Also our rabiit was living in it previously. Very strange!

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Young, large breed dogs sometimes get "growing pains" in one leg or another. Seemingly without any injury but a limp on one or another leg every once and a while. My Irish did that, we had the vet check but after a while we did the wait and see routine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by