1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My poor hen. Can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by singlebear, Nov 12, 2014.

1. singlebear

singlebear New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    My hens eye was swollen the other day when I went to feed them. It seems to be getting worse. I have tried antibotic liquids and it does not seem to help. Anyone know what will heal it? [​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    What antibiotic liquid did you use? Also, how much? I think it might be infectious coryza:
    Quote: Hope not though, but sure looks like it.

I don't have any experience with treating it but I'd be adding freshly minced raw garlic to her food, one or two cloves a day minimum, it's been proven to work against respiratory diseases and infections.

Best wishes.

3. singlebear

singlebear New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Terracycline 2tsp per gallon. I will add the garlic. See if that helps. She is not emaciated though. She is eatting a little but not as much as she has. She is drinking. Singing her eye is just really swollen.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your picture is not very clear. What does the comb look like? Are there any scabs on the comb or her face? It looks little like fowl pox, but I can't see that well. Fowl pox can be complicated by secondary infections in the eye and elsewhere. If there is no pox, I would agree that it could be coryza (especially if there is a bad odor,) but also could be an MG infection. Antibiotics would depend on what the cause is. If you are using Duramycin 10, then you should be using 1 tablespoonful per gallon of water to give the maximum dosage.

Duramycin 10
    (tetracycline HCl soluble powder)
    For use in drinking water for prevention and treatment
    of diseases susceptible to tetracycline hydrochloride.

E-mail [email protected]
    To make 1
    gallon:
    400mg dose =
    1/2 Tbsp (1 oz.)
    per gallon of water
    800mg dose =
    1 Tbsp (2 oz.)
    per gallon of water

1 person likes this.
  5. singlebear

singlebear New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    No scabs on her comb,or any where else. Her eye is swollen and looks like puss. Theres no smell. She is still singing and acts normal.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable or Tylan Soluble Powder for the water would be a stronger antibiotic for treating respiratory diseases if you don't see improvement with the tetracycline in a few days. I would also clean the eye with saline, and apply either Vetericyn eye gel, Terramycin eye ointment or plain Triple Antibiotic (Neosporin) ointment twice a day to the eye. Respiratory diseases are chronic in chickens, and will make carriers of your flock.

7. singlebear

singlebear New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    i had her on that and I started Doctoring her eye with neosporin and it has cleared up. Thank you all for your suggestions and concern.

8. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Good to hear, thanks for the follow-up. It's always good to hear what worked.

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by