My poor hen is losing her voice, she was gurgleing but other than that acts fine? respritory?

roxyblue

Songster
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
pittsburgh, PA
Hey everyone!
My two year old Barred Rock is showing signs of illness. A few days ago =I switched from straw to pine shaveings from a local wood working center, I noticed a very strong "pine" scent comeing from them and dum me put them in anyway
he.gif
. A day after switching I started hearing gurgleing noises comeing from her throat. I brought her inside to observe her more, she was and still is eating and drinking like normal, still if an active forager, and isn;t sleep or anything like that. I expected it to be cleared up in another day or two. Well now the gurleing has stopped but I have noticed that she is sneezing and has started to lose her voice. The feed store is two hours away and isn't really an option because I couldnt get there anyway. I am currently giving her AVC in water and plan on giving electrolytes in the water tommorrow. None of the other girls are showing any signs of illness.
Thanks!
-Roxy

Most likely it's an environmental issue rather than a respiratory disease as evidenced by her not gurgling anymore. Wheezing, nasal discharge, facial swelling, bubbly eyes... more than likely you'd be dealing with a respiratory problem. It could be dust from her feed causing her to sneeze, perhaps soiled bedding from ammonia fumes. If the sneezing continues, try flushing her nostrils with saline solution. Hopefully it will clear her nostrils.

Thanks Dawg!
I've spent a lot of time with her today and she seems to have cleared up. All the others seem fine too, I'm now pretty sure that it was the wood shavings that caused it. She defiantly didn't show any of the symptoms that you were describing.
Thanks so much!
-Roxy

Back
Top Bottom