My poor hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by fabfarm, Dec 28, 2014.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    My poor little silkie hen , Raven, was dragged out of her coop by a large hawk while she was sitting on eggs. My Roos all ran and hid under my car while the poor defenseless hen had her head torn off. I had gone across the street for only a few minutes and had no idea what was going on.......I have, or so I thought, hawk proofed my coop but some how he not only managed to fly through the small opening but also get into the coop it self! Why go through all the trouble for one weak hen??? I am so frustrated with this. I can't seem to keep them away........ I have decoys, reflective owls, wind chimes, Even loud barking dogs! I don't understand why they keep bothering us. My neighbor that's only three houses down has chickens, even silkies, and they have no problems. Can anyone give me any advice to prevent this from happening?!?!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry about the loss of Raven :hugs
    You might try posting in the Predator forum, there are quite a few threads on hawk proofing. Did you actually see the bird? They can be determined, but hawks going into a coop that seems to be pretty secure is odd if there are easier pickings close by.

3. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I'm so sorry about your silkie. My white silkie died on 12/2 so I can completely relate. They're such wonderful pets. :hugs

I don't have any ideas about hawk proofing but did just want to give my condolences.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry about Raven.

5. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Thanks so much but the door has a small opening do you think the hawk could have gotten through that? It was near the top of the pen. the wire had come loose. my nighbor saw it while walking ..... A bit too late he tried saving her but by the time he saw it ,it was already trying to fly away with her .... If it wasn't for him I wouldn't have gotten to bury her. He said that it dragged her out of her coop. He describes as not being too big.... She was always a small hen. What I just don't get is why he went through Alll the trouble. She was a weak hen. She was sitting on eggs in the very back, the hawk must have been very desperate.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh, that is so sad. Hawks can fly through some pretty small openings. I was amazed when I watched a youtube video once of a nature show clip showing a hawk flying through an opening about the size of the body. They pull in their wings, so getting through something like a 4 X 6 inch opening is possible.

7. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I'm just shocked it even went for her. We are keeping the other ones in today just in case it decides to come back. We repaired the whole near the top of the door. I hope it holds this time.....I really don't want to have another hawk attack. It really is so sad seeing one less hen. Thanks to all who responded!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by