My poor hens will need hen saddles!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LUVMYCHIKAS, Aug 14, 2013.

1. LUVMYCHIKAS

LUVMYCHIKAS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I have no experience with hen saddles! Help! Do they keep them on all the time? Just during the day? Can they still fly with them on? I have 4 hens and 4 roos. The poors girls will be worked over very soon if I don't take care of this. They are all 12 weeks old now and the mating play has begun. Any helpful suggestions would be wonderful.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Deleted

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    That's not what I want to hear. I thought if all my roos were getting along I may be able to make this work. The two cochin roos seems to be the alphas of the coop and they keep the guineas in check as well. They are the sweetest and get along very well with each other and only seem to harass the other two roos, and of course, the hens. How do you part with pets you have grown to love?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Regardless of what you want to hear, you have a responsibility to your hens. With only 4 hens, even 1 rooster may overmate them, you'll just have to watch and see. If you just can't bear to get rid of the remaining roosters, you'll need to build separate housing for them. Roosters do well in a bachelor pad, with no access to females they usually keep the squabbles to a minimum. But you can't tease them by having the hens right close, either, that's just mean. So, take a good, hard look at your set-up and what your capabilities are, and decide what's really best for the birds you love so much. Is it living with you, or possibly living in a more appropriate home for them?

3 people like this.
  5. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    Much to think about...thank you for your input. Geez...I don't like any of the options but I want happy healthy chickens!

6. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The set up you have won't work well. All of the birds will be unhappy, so they won't be the pets you love, they will be mean, bloody and picked on. You can't just wish they will all get along with chicken management.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  7. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Too many roosters for the hens.

Saddles are great. I have some with saddles because they are the rooster's favorites. The saddles don't impede their activities. Well, except the rooster has to work harder to mount them, but that is his problem.

Chris

8. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I've decided reluctantly that I'll rehome two roosters to start. If I replace them with two hens and change my ratio (6 hens:2 roos) I'm hoping that will improve things for everyone. And hen saddles will still be a part of their wardrobe!

9. junecleavage

junecleavage Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    I had 6 hens to 3 roosters in my first flock. They were all housed together. Since they were raised together there was an established pecking order. My whole little flock was a happy little system. Should it be done differently? Yes, probably, but the 6:2 ratio can work.

10. LUVMYCHIKAS

Aug 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Md
    I'm so glad to hear something on a positive note! Do you use hen saddles?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by