1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my poor hound :( **update w/ pic**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by coonhoundmama87, Nov 17, 2011.

1. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My black and tan Dixie had such a rough night last night. [​IMG] She was out running a marsh for coon with my DH when she yelped and ran back to him. She wouldn't let him see at first but when he did look at her she had a huge hole in her chest. He ran her straight to the closest vet (which isn't her vet sadly). They had to stitch her up and put a drain in. She has about an 6-7 inch gash right up her chest between her legs. [​IMG] We aren't quite sure what happened. DH went and looked back at where about she was and couldn't really find anything that could have done it. The vet pulled a few chunks of wood out of her so there must of been a stick in the ground and she ran into it. She moves pretty fast and doesn't look what's in front of her. But about $500 dollars later she's feeling pretty good. Had to stay overnight at the vet and has to go back next wednesday to have the drain out and a week after that to have the stitches out. She's on pain meds and antibiotics. She was so happy to be home, this was the first night she had ever been away from me since I got her in June of 2009 when she was 5 weeks old. Needless to say it was a pretty rough night on me too. I bawled my eyes out. I didn't get to see her since DH ran her straight to the vet. I knew I should have tagged a long hunting! I went out and bought her a soft cone collar to wear because they gave her one of those awful plastic ones and she hated it with a passion. She doesn't enjoy this one either but atleast she can lay her head down! I'm just thankful she's doing okay! Just needed to tell my story, it makes me feel better somehow. [​IMG]

**update** she had her stitches out yesterday! we got to the vet and she sniffed the parking lot and instantly wanted back in the car lol. I had to drag her in the door! She wouldn't go with the vet until she gave her a treat [​IMG] But I guess she was great when they took them out. She is cone free and loving it (as am I!). I think there may be a minor scar, but it's worth it since she is ok [​IMG] Just overjoyed to have my happy go lucky hound back! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Poor girl.

3. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    [​IMG]

5. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:That actually looks pretty good. At least it just went through the skin & didn't go into her chest....

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Ouch! Hope she heals quick!

7. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Buddy & Jolie wish to send "Get Well Wishes, Hugs & Kisses to Dixie"! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jolie says I know that E collar is like wearing a lampshade Dixie...very uncomfortable [​IMG] Been there & done that [​IMG] Glad your Mom got you the soft one [​IMG]
    Sending prayers your way that you will be good as new soon to get back to huntin' those coonies [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bless her. Our Treeing Walkers averaged 2-3 'war wounds' similar to your coonhound in a season of hunting. They are moving so fast a piece of wood can lacerate like a scalpel. And those poor beagles would cut their ears to pieces in briar patches.

9. coonhoundmama87

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hens & Hounds :

Buddy & Jolie wish to send "Get Well Wishes, Hugs & Kisses to Dixie"! [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/91292_buddy_jolie_gettin_ready_for_bed.jpg

Jolie says I know that E collar is like wearing a lampshade Dixie...very uncomfortable [​IMG] Been there & done that [​IMG] Glad your Mom got you the soft one [​IMG]
    Sending prayers your way that you will be good as new soon to get back to huntin' those coonies [​IMG]

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/91292_jolie_w_e_collar_on_fr_cancer_tumor_on_ear.jpg

They are beautiful [​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I know it really could have been much worse but this is the worst she's had so far. I didn't see it before the vet but DH said it was really nasty and deep with chunks of fat and what not hanging out. She's had her share of battle wounds before but none like this!​

10. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh no! Poor little girly! Glad she's fine, and hope she makes a great recovery. Anything that involves raccoon's, dogs, and happens in the night is scary. Multiple experiences.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by