1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Poor Little Chickies...Need Advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by honeydoll, Jan 3, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Ok I have 6 golden comets and one roo of unknown descent. Then I added 4 Chanteclers, which are softies when it comes to chickens, and as packing peanuts I also got 8 Dominiques. We just finished processing 6 of the Dom roos. they were very small and had empty crops at processing (which I planned the empty crops). So I didn't think much of the empty crop thing then. I went to check the other and their crops have very little food in them. They have shared the coop with my larger ones since Oct. They are now 5 mos. old. My comets are about 9 mos. old. So I shewed my comets out of the coop to see if they are not allowing my others to eat. I have two large feeders in there, always full of food. about 10 min. after I let the comets out they finally worked the nerve up to come in and finally started eating. Oh those poor things, they were too scared to go near the food, it took them 10 min. to work up the nerve. I feel really bad for them. They have all been together for some time, will this ever resolve. Darn comets, they don't share very well. We have a large coop with two large roosts and a lower small roost and nesting boxes, it's plenty big but the comets think they need the whole darn thing to themselves. Can I fix this or is it hopeless? [​IMG]

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I keep a pan for food outside in the run as well as two feeders in the coop. Our RIR hens are pretty bossy sometimes and I found my EE's weren't getting to eat as often as I thought they should. And when I give treats I give some inside the shed and spread some in the run as well.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Can you split the coop with Wire so everyone gets a Feeder & Roost space?

I am sorry your having this problem.

4. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Quote:I think that is a real good idea.

5. honeydoll

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    Well, that's definetly the problem, I put all my comets out and our roo and went and checked the smaller ones after about an hour. they all have nice full crops and look very happy. My poor little chickies. I really feel bad for them now. Naughty comets, my girls are meaner to the younger ones than my roo, but he is a sissy anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by