My poor little chickies!

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
It's COLD out tonight! And WINDY! My 6 (6 month old) chickens are in the hen house for the night, but as of right now it's not draft proof. My husband made the house with the back (east facing) wall and floor made out of plywood and the rest was made out of recycled pallets. There are spaces about 1/4" in between these sections of wood. We are planning on covering the inside walls with plywood, but the cold came upon us suddenly. My chickies must be pretty cold tonight. Are they going to be ok?
fl.gif
Here's a pic of the hen house (the nesting box isn't in the pic). The windows are now covered with plexi glass.

32358_101_3324.jpg

Your coop looks ok really. I think the wood that you have will block the direct winds and feathers are good insulators.

Could you secure a tarp on the side that the wind is mostly coming from? That's the only thing that I could think of if you wanted to try something

If your breed is correct for your area, they have been getting used to the cold nights as the temps have progressed downward at night.
Since your coop is raised off ground level with no protection from natural ground absorbed heating you may want to add some artificial heat. You could also enclose the bottom for the winter to trap the natural ground warmth that would flow upward naturally.
The more you add artificial heat, light, etc... the more your flock will depend on you instead of themselves.

Back
Top Bottom