My poor little Emma

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosebud 18, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My pekin duck (Emma) hasn't looked right for the last few weeks. I don't know what is wrong with her. I checked her crop and it is fine. She is eating and drinking just fine but she looks fluffy all the time and when the wind blows her feathers stand out all fluffy like she just came out of a dryer. I have looked for her oil glands and if what I'm seeing is correct then it isn't blocked. She walks kinda scrunched-up. The draked won't leave her alone. Emma has been laying everyday until last week and then she started laying every other day. Two days ago her egg was broke in the nest and yesterday it was on the ground broke. We thought maybe Jake (the drake) was breaking them so we seprated them. This morning there was no egg in her nest but tonight when we went to lock her up for the night there was and egg on the ground broke. My husband went to remove it and discovered that there was another hardshell egg inside of it. I have never seen this before and was really suprised. It is a large egg to. There was a hardshell with the white but no yoke (unless the chickens ate it) and then another regular egg. I took it in and washed it and it doesn't have any cracks. I wonder what is going on and will it be ok to eat the egg? What could be wrong with my Emma? I love her dearly.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    What breed and how old is she? At the beginning and end of each egg laying cycle- ducks can lay odd eggs- double yolkers- with a shell- weird shapes. Being fluffed up can be a sign of broodiness- but not the way you describe it. Its the walking scrunched up that sounds like a concern to me- whether it is directly related to or because of the egg issues- is not clear. Do you ever worm your ducks- or spray/ powder them for lice?

3. Rosebud 18

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    She is a pekin and I got her as a baby last april. So she is a year old. I have sprayed for lice but I haven't wormed her yet. I'll try that. She is looking better since I seperated her from Jake and she layed that double shell egg. She didn't lay today so maybe she is at the end of her laying cycle. I'm still worried about her. After I worm her maybe she will get back to her old self. I hate to keep her and Jake apart. I think he hates me now. Thanks duckyfromoz.

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Sounds like a broody duck to me. Fluffed up, head crouched down. Blue has been like that for over a month now. She was walking all upright the other day and I mentioned to DH I'd not seen that in a long time. Then right back to scrunched down she went.

5. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    my duck is doing that! In fact, I could have written that word for word- the feathers upright like the wind is blowing them, walking all scrunched up. I thought she had hurt her neck. Well, finally today, she has sat on her nest and not got up. All sorts of little feathers in the nest.
    Broody!

eta:

False alarm! She is out swimming in the pond now with the others. She spends more time in the nest than any of the other ducks, though.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Rosebud 18

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    Thanks guys, I sure am glad that there isn't anything serious wrong with her. I just started raising duck last year and I'm still learning. I read everything I can find on ducks and geese. I guess there is always something new to learn. I really appreciate all the response. Thanks again.

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My muscovy has been sitting consistently for a week now. Eggs due to hatch April 27th.
    How is yours doing?

8. Rosebud 18

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    After she laid that hard shell egg within another hard shell egg she didn't lay for about 3 days and then she started laying again and now she seems just fine. No more walking or sitting around all scrunched-up. Her feathers are looking prettier to not all fluffed up as before. I'm so glad. I sure didn't want her sick with my babies due to arrive next week. Congratulation, hope you have a good hatch with your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by