My poor little lady!!

MamaSaylor

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
We were recently moving and have been letting the girls roam the yard, but since we were back and forth, we left them in the run for a couple days. We went to the coop yesterday to move it to their new home for the time being, and one of my girls was almost featherless and bloody.

Is this molting? None of my other girls are like this, or what she pecked at? I feel so bad for her. I have her separated and in the garage with a heat lamp. Poor thing seemed so cold.

Would disease cause this or just pecking? I thought molting because its on her undercarriage, her back, her neck.. but she is in the only one. She is fragile. She bled when my husband picked her up to move her. Anything extra I can do besides separating her?

I would put electrolytes in her water, and feed whatever she'll eat! Mine love oatmeal, apples, and kiwis whenever they're sick or injured. Scrambled egg is good as well. Another strange food mine have loved that's high in protein is slivered almonds. Protein is essential in wound healing and feather growth. Just make sure she is eating, drinking, and warm. Try to keep bleeding under control. If you can see the wounds, vetericyn spray works great for cleaning them. I foind it at the local feed store. I apply polysporin or neosporin to the areas they can't peck or preen off to keep the wounds moist and protected. Just make sure she is comfortable and least stressed as possible. Good luck with your bird!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom