my poor little Roo!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mamas Girls, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Mamas Girls

Mamas Girls New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Hello all... I'm new to the group but I'm ready for my first posted question.
    I just obtained a free bantam rooster. He is too cute and I love his crow (squeaky-squeaky doo). Lol
    Anyway, I have 5 barred rock hens and 8 Americaunas? The latter group - no problems, but the former 5 seriously pick on him. He seems afraid of them yet has no problems keeping company with Americaunas. Well he ever be able to do his duties with these 5 ladies? Or are these just not compatible?

2. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    You should get him some bantam to mate with he's too small to mate with the others

2 people like this.
  3. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Sounds cute. Post a photo of him so we can see his breed. I would bring in some bantam pullets or hens for him too, at least 3 if you can to keep the bullying down.

We have a mixed flock as well. First, we had 45 RIR pullets (weighed about 4-6 lbs) and brought in an a full grown Old English Bantam Black Breasted Brown (weighed 1 3/4 lb.). The RIR accepted him immediately as their leader, and he mated them gently and without issues when they became older. They liked him a lot, and he is a great leader for the flock.

Eventually, we brought in another 40+ RIR juveniles (12 cockerels) plus a Partridge Cochin cockerel. The Bantam was brilliant with all the little ones, even the new cockerels. They are all grown now (about 7-8 lbs) and he still dominates all of them as Flock leader, and has never had one fight to date. He has chest bumped them on occasion and chased them to keep them in line, but they run off screaming. He is the master of the bluff.

Eventually we found 3 OEGB Black Breasted Red pullets for the Banty. He knew right away they were for him and protects them from the larger roos, even though they are housed together. The Tiny sisters luuvve him and groom him constantly, and are always at his side. A few roos have attempted mating, but the Bantam is fiercely protective. No one has gotten hurt. The Bantam has the 3 Tiny sisters and two RIR who are his girls. He seems to be very happy. lol I think you can get this to work out...

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I hope he gets worked into the flock. But these little guys usually need hens his size. So more chickens may be in order!! :)

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

1 person likes this.
  7. Mamas Girls

Mamas Girls New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Ft. Worth, TX
    [​IMG]

My Roo, Buddy

[​IMG]

One of my 5 Americaunas

[​IMG]

One of 3 ... ?.... RIR?

[​IMG]

This is MY special girl. My concern is that although she seems fine, her right wattle is shriveled (good red coloring though)

8. [​IMG]
    The red hen could be a RIR, or a Production Red, I am not 100% sure. And your hen with the waddle, was it ever large? I wouldn't really spend time worrying about, chances are it is all fine. It could just be the way it grew in if it was never large.

9. Mamas Girls

Mamas Girls New Egg

Feb 25, 2014
    Ft. Worth, TX
    No... I don't think it was ever normal size. I'm really new to all this so I don't want to assume anything, but I thought it would be ok because other than the fact that one didn't grow out - the color and condition of the comb and wattles look truly healthy.
    Thanks for the info and reassurance.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by