My poor Mables toe fell off!!!! Kinda gross so be warned.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Crazy4cochins, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    I have no idea what to do,I noticed it turned yellow around the cuticle area of one of her toes and looked puffy, I squeezed it and nothing came out. Then I looked at her last night and the end of her toes is GONE. There's another toe turning yellow, but it's a scale or 2 up from the cuticle part.
    I have looked this up and all I can find is frostbite info, I do not think this is the case. Can it maybe be mits??? sorry pic's a little fuzzy.[[​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That does not look like mites. Her leg and other toe look perfectly normal. Maybe she got a spider bite, or stepped on something sharp and it cut the circulation to the rest of the toe and it fell off. I would not worry about it. Looks really healthy and I would just let it scab over and leave it open to heal on its own. Wrapping it may cause more damage if it swells, and nature has a way of taking care of things like this. I have even seen in a Veterans Administration Hospital one time an older gentleman got an infection in his toe, and the surgeon thought it was best NOT to operate and they kept him in the hospital under observation for a few days until it just sloughed off like your chicken's toe. It did not get infected and healed up on its own with just minor treatment. I was amazed. Your chicken looks young and healthy and I think it will just heal itself up and not even be noticeable later on.

3. Crazy4cochins

Crazy4cochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    NW MO
    Thanks,I'll keep watching her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by