My Poor Mini Roses! (PIX)

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rebbetzin, Jul 19, 2011.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    This morning when I went out to the front yard, I found my new mini rose bushes at the base of the birdbath...

[​IMG]

had all been completely stripped of their leaves!

[​IMG]

Here is a close up of the damage.

[​IMG]

I figured it was the Dreaded Leaf Cutter Ants that have been a problem in the front yard on and off for years now. And sure enough I found their "nest"!! With all my nice rose leaves there on the surface of the hill.

[​IMG]

I now have to figure out how to get rid of them. I have tried many different Ant type killers, but it appears they are immune!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The carnage! Try some DE. It's non-toxic but will kill them.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My first thought was deer but didn't know ants would love roses! Sevin dust would be the thing to try if you can!

4. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    Oh that stinks!!! I got a rose bush for my 30th birthday and when we planted it in the ground it had a really hard time adjusting and I thought it was a goner for sure.

5. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh no! That's too bad they were gorgeous! Mini roses seem to be plagued by so many different pests! I've never had trouble with ants, but plenty of other things! You may want to try and totally eradicate the population of them in your yard. I know, easier said than done, and you have probably already been trying! Sorry about your pretty flowers! Always so disappointing!

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yikes!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by