My poor muscovy nibbles has frostbite!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pringle, Mar 24, 2011.

1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok so I went on vacation for about a week and in that time I had a person check up on the ducks and what-not.They did not clean the coop which made the poop get all solid and frozen making it really cold for the ducks to put there feet on it and sleep.The person did not get payed btw.So anyways some of the skin is peeled off and hanging on his foot,today it was bleeding!

I did a search on byc but wanted to know if I am doing the right things,I will have him in a a large dog crate in my basement (which is nice and warm) with shavings that will be cleaned daily.Can I bring him outside for a couple hours every day to stretch?How long must he be in the crate?Whats better--vitamins and electrolytes in the water or sulmet?Any ducky treats that will make him happier?Thanks

2. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Oh, forgot to add that I also have blue-kote should I put that on his feet?

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    When frostbitten ice crystals will form in the affected tissue and cause damage. Gangrene is something to watch for. Ducks have a special type of vein/ artery system in the legs and feet which is why they are able to walk around and swim in very cold conditions - but also means that even in normal conditions- they have a small blood supply to the foot if he damage to these blood vessels is severe- the foot may not have enough blood flow to keep the tissue alive.

The most important thing right now is ensuring his foot is not allowed to get too cold as further deeper damage may be done to the foot, and watching for infection. He may loose areas of the webbing- especially since it is so thin. If the skin is broken from the blisters- keeping the foot clean is a high priority to avoid infection.

Getting him outside in the sun on a clean patch of grass will be good for his recovery. It depends on how long his healing takes - but as soon as the skin is regrowing very well he should eb ok to return to the flock. I would suggest a week of segragation at minumum - for the best chance of a good recovery- and ater that depending on how much progress has been made.

4. pringle

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Ok thanks!But what would be better,sulmet in the water or vitamins and electrolytes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by