My poor rooster :'(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howfunkyisurchicken, May 12, 2011.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    So, a little background: I got this guy from a friend of mine when he was 3 years old. He's been my #1 guy for the past 3.5 years. Last winter I came to the coop one day to find him walking around the run like he was drunk. He also had a wobbly head. I love this rooster, and didn't have the heart to cull him. But, he looked like he was suffering, so I called my little brother to come and do the deed. By the time my brother had gotten here (about 15 minutes), Mr. Red was back to mating the hens and telling everybody what to do. Strange. He was fine the rest of the winter and has continued to be fine, until today. I went back this morning and let everyone out, and handfed treats to everyone as usual (including him-he looked great). I just went back to collect eggs and found my other rooster and the hens attacking him. His lone, original hen that came with him was frantically trying to defend the poor guy, and taking quite a beating for it herself [​IMG] . So, I scoop up Mr. Red and head to the house as fast as I can. With Ethyl screetching and cursing me out the whole way [​IMG] . I tried to shut the door on her, but she wasn't having any of that. Now they are both in the house, snuggling under the heat lamp. I've given Mr. Red a couple of drops of poly-vi-sol w/o iron, put some vitamins in their water, and made them a mash of gamebird feed, yogurt, and water. Is there anything else I can possibly do? I've checked them for mites (of which I found none, they are just finishing up treatment for scaley leg mites though), they were wormed recently(we just stopped tossing out eggs), and no one else is exhibiting these symptoms. Is this some kind of neurological thing that's come about with old age? Or is that just it: he's old (it is rather cool today-maybe the cold is getting hard on him)? Sorry for the novel, but I love this old fella and really want to do what's best. He is at least standing now, although a little unsteady. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hmm so is he acting the same way as before when he seemed wobbly and drunkish? Do you think maybe he might have hit his head that time?

No symptoms that would indicate a respiratory condition? Does he free range? Could he have gotten into some poison? I think you're handling things the right way....Rest and some extra nutrition for him is an excellent idea. I'm sure he'll be happy to have his girlfriend with him too!

Keep us posted! Wishing him good luck! [​IMG]

Sharon:

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yes he's acting the same, but worse than last time. I suppose he could have hit is head, but have not way to be sure. I just checked his head and body for wounds and couldnt find any. Which is miraculous b/c the other birds were in full attack mode. They do have supervised free range time, but spend most of the day in their run. No respritory symptoms, no weight loss. His feathers are still beautiful and shiney. As far as the poison, he did have a mouse and some pinkies I found behind a bale of drynest. But they were all very much alive and kicking, and everyone ate them [​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do you think he might have a vitamin deficiency ? That can cause neurological problems. I have started putting minerals like I give the goats in with the chicken feed. If you have some vitamin e caps, cut one open and feed it to him. When chickens act different, the rest do seem to attack. We had one chick with wry neck and the other ones were bearing the heck out of it. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by