My Poor Showgirl!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Lt. Ohura is trying to lay her first egg. She's been hunching for me for weeks. Then this morning when i went to get her and her buddies out of the shower (i've been keeping them in there at night due to the heat and smoke in the area), i found she had spent the better part of the morning making swirlies in the hay.

Now she's out in the pen with several next boxes to choose from, but i don't think she's sure what to do. She's very fretful, pacing, into and out of nest boxes, trying to get out of the pen. My EE Penny went through a rough time also getting her first egg out, so i'm not panicking yet. i just feel bad for the little girl. i rubbed her abdomen and massaged around her vent, which she seemed to like. i guess i will just keep an eye on her and keep comforting her as best i can. Not easy being a midwife!

Here she is with her friends. That's the Lt. on the left, then Twinkle-Toes (named for a gimpy foot she developed as a chick) and Maribou. Maribou just started hunching for me, so she will be next.
    [​IMG]

Part of the Lt.'s problem may be that everyone wants to climb in the nest box with her to see what's going on.
    [​IMG]

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Problem solved. i just went out to check on her and found her standing in the middle of the pen, hunching and making small chicken grunting noises. Out popped this:

[​IMG]

Phew! Now i can get get back to my housework.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    wooo-hooo she did it !!!!! [​IMG]

4. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    AWWWWW!!! She does look like Lt Ohura!!! She did a good job!

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    YAY!!! Now she'll be a pro!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Well i hope she figures out that the nest box is the place to squat. She actually did pretty good - not too much fretting. When Penny laid her first egg, she fretted all day. Spent most of the day on my lap with her head in my arm pit. Then very late that night laid an egg with no shell. So the Lt. did a very good job.

i need some consistent layers since most of my silkies have gone broody.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Congrats on Lt's first egg!
    But remember that Showgirls are part silkie too...

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    How old is Lt. Ohura ? Looks like she did a fine job! I have Silkies and am wondering when they will lay. They are 5 months old and the Roos are already driving the hens mad! I have to separate them!

9. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My Showgirls are 23 weeks now. The Lt. has been squatting for me for about two weeks now. Her sister Maribou just started squatting when i go to pick her up. Poor Twinkle-Toes can barely see, so not sure if she will ever squat for me as she can't see me coming.

i did have a rooster i raised with these girls, but he was getting too rambunctious with them, so i gave him to a nice young man. Actually, the crowing was driving my husband crazy. So we are a rooster-free zone.

. . . and you're right, SpottedCrow, i guess i shouldn't be counting on big egg production from these ladies. i recently bought six red star pullets, out of frustration of having 90% of my silkies jamming up the nest boxes in broody madness. Hopefully in a couple months i'll be getting half a dozen eggs a day, and then the silkie eggs will just be a nice treat.

i do love these Showgirls, though. They are the prettiest and sweetest chickens i've had yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by