My poor silkie...idk what to do

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BriColie, Feb 17, 2017.

1. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Hi everyone...I'm sure this topic comes up often, but i need some advice.

We have 1 silkie rooster that is becoming aggressive to my 2 year old son. I've had this happen before with a buff orp, & we did cull him (firstly bc we had too many roosters, & secondly because we do have chickens for meat purposes as well...& we needed meat at the time - plus, him being aggressive helped us go in the direction we did just a little sooner).

Right now, we are not wanting to cull anymore chickens. But we never thought that the silkie would become aggressive...he's always been more docile.

I'm thinking of caging him up or selling him...idk what to do. But my son shouldn't be afraid to play outside - that is our take on it.

My son was playing with the dog when it happened...he's not quiet, he's a very active & loud 2 year old - in my opinion, as he should be. But apparently the silkie didn't like it & attacked him. I went running over & took him off my son (he had him on the ground & was pecking & scratching him). However, we've had the buff orp that would just attack him no matter where he was...he would be playing quietly with his trucks by the steps & he'd walk over & just attack him. Could this be a learned behavior from him watching previous roosters??

My chickens are free-ranged...i usually can't catch them until dusk once they go into their coop.

Will my free-range hens be ok without a rooster? Should i sell or cage him? I'm at a loss here...so upset bc he was my favorite. :(

Btw, my 6-year daughter (a very quiet, special girl - she is my little piece of heaven & what i like to call the chicken whisperer lol...she's austic & selective mute) & myself have never had a problem with any rooster. They all see me as mama bird & just won't even try & they all just love my DD. But my DH & DS are always having issues...maybe they can sense the testosterone??

Any advice & help is much appreciated!! TIA! xx

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Lock him up or sell him. Just an opinion

3. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    yea i might have to...idk what a silkie rooster at about 21 weeks will even go for??

4. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Check Craigslist in you area. I've seen them in Texas for $10-$25

5. BriColie

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool

Thank you! Will do!

6. eggbert420