My poor Silkie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3909Paolini, Aug 15, 2013.

1. 3909Paolini

3909Paolini Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I am soooo sad. I have 4 chickens that grew up together and up until last night wouldn't go anywhere without each other. I have two Australopes and two Silkes. One of the silkies turned out to be male, but he's not the problem. They are about 24 weeks old and the two of the ladies are laying, the silkie and the Australope. My other female is not only not laying, but she is keeping the girl silkie from getting into the coop and has started pecking at the other. What is going on?

2. Chicken Goddess

Chicken Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

its the pecking order or its male rivalry. pecking orders happen from the chicken you got first to the youngest one being pecked. or she could be fighting for the male. this happens all the time, you just have to teach your chicken a lesson. thats what i did and she stopped pecking the other.[​IMG]

3. 3909Paolini

3909Paolini Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I have separated the offender from the offenders at night, do you think that will make things better after awhile.

4. Chicken Goddess

when ever i get a new chicken they sleep in a different coop. i let the chickens play with the new chicken so they can know each other. i stand guard while they're getting close though. best keep her in a different coop for a small duration than she can go back. this could make things better. if not just keep an close eye on her[​IMG]

5. Chicken Goddess

when ever i get a new chicken they sleep in a different coop. i let the chickens play with the new chicken so they can know each other. i stand guard while they're getting close though. best keep her in a different coop for a small duration than she can go back. this could make things better. if not just keep an close eye on her[​IMG]

6. Chicken Goddess

sorry about sending it twice. something is wronge with my computer.[​IMG]

7. Chicken Goddess

sorry about sending it twice. something is wronge with my computer.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by