My Potbelly Is Pregnant. What do I do? -Babies are here! *Updated with Pics*

Ducks-R-Us

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2009
North Dakota
My potbelly pig, Sunshine, is pregnant. I was just wondering what to do to prepare for babies. Any advice is appreciated, Thank You!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know like if I'm supposed to trim their teeth when they're born? Do they need heat lamps? I heard that they need iron somewhere, how would I get that to them? This is going to be our first litter of piglets and I'm clueless. Any advice can help, thank you!

yes they will need heat , this time of year....teeth don't need trimmed. dip the umbilical cord in iodine. need to give a iron shot. that bwhat i did for my pigs...they were not pot belly...but should be the same.

take 3 month 3 weeks 3 days from time she was bred.

I have six miniature piglets right now. I keep worrying about them because it is so cold right now but everytime I check on them they are all nice and warm.
Is your pig indoors or outdoors? Piglets do need iron. If outdoors they can get it from snuffling around in the dirt.
Give momma lots of straw. Oat straw stays dry longer and provides a better nest. Momma will make a huge nest like the size and shape of a tractor tire. She will lay in the middle and make a low grunting noise when she is letting her milk down for the piglets. The straw provides a dry warm area for the babies but also keeps them safe from mom laying down on them. Mom might squish them if she doesn't have a big enough area for the nest. At night mom will climb into the center and pull straw on top
of herself to hold in heat.
I give my pigs hay to eat along with their food. You will want to give mom more than just potbellied food. Pot bellied food is for maintence. She will need more nutrition for developing babies and then for milk production.
Momma and the babies would all appreciate a heat lamp. I'm not using one because our electric line to the barn came down. But they are in the barn in an inside pen with thick stall mats and plenty of dry straw.
Good Luck! Keep momma happy! Don't bother her babies too much at first. I spend a lot of time with mine now but I just left them all be the first few days. Now I sit on the side of the nest and put my hand down and the babies come over to my hand and snuggle against it. If you pick the babies up too fast they will squeal (LOUD) and make mom mad at you.

Yipee! She had her babies!
Oh, she is inside, I couldn't let her be outside here- we live in ND and its cold here. She had three, 2 girls and 1 boy and they seem to be doing great.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww....how cute! I love my piggies! Does momma use a litter box? You might want to put a low sided one down right next to hers for the babies to use.
I have really been chomping at the bit to bring a couple of mine inside. I know that they are better left with mom though. But it's so hard not to bring a couple inside. If I had an area in here that the dogs couldn't get to to upset momma I would have mom and all of the babies inside. I just go out and sit in the nest and get my piggy fix that way.
roll.png

Have fun with your little ones....they are sooo cute!

Back
Top Bottom