My power went out this morning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buster, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

We had high winds this morning and the power went out sometime between 5 and 5:45 am. I had 9 quail chicks in the brooder and 58 eggs in 2 incubators. When I woke up and realized the power was out I ran downstairs and grabbed every blanket in the basement and covered the incubators. Then I grabbed the quail chicks and took them out of the brower brooder in the garage (they weren't even huddling yet) and put them in an aquarium brooder I have and set it in front of the fireplace. The power was out for 4 hours. One of the quail chicks that wasn't very strong died. When the power came back on, I uncovered the incubators and the blankets were still a little warm where they were touching the bators so I am hoping they will be ok.

How frustrating! [​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry you lost a baby and hope everything else is alright. [​IMG] Power outages are one of my biggest fears! We are electric EVERYTHING with no back-up heat.

3. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    That is frustrating! Sorry to hear that a quail died Buster. I'm sure everything will work out fine with the eggs in the bator. Sounds like you did everything right once you found out the power was off. Great job! [​IMG]

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I had a generator earlier this summer for when I was working out of town that I borrowed from my dad but when I brought my trailer home I took it back to him for the winter. I am going to go get it later today so that I have backup power if this happens again.

5. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Yeah, you could do that, or you could bring the bators and birds here and help me get my fix that I'm so badly needing! [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Oh no! i HOPE THOSE eggs are ok.

Power outtage is my biggest nightmare - we have no other way to heat our home. The storm that is dropping snow on you is headed my way, with high wind etc... we'll start getting it tonight. [​IMG]

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Ha!

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:We only got an inch or so but it froze to ice very quickly. Hopefully it isn't too bad for you. [​IMG]

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:We only got an inch or so but it froze to ice very quickly. Hopefully it isn't too bad for you. [​IMG]

Our forecast is saying up to 6 inches - our high on Monday is going to be 8. Today's high is going to be 50 - so we're getting ready for it, I need to send the kids outside to play cause they won't be able to go out for a couple of days... or not without bundling up so much they can' tMOVE.

10. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have had long power outages (like 9 hours once while not at home so nothing done) and the chicks were only late in hatching. Relax, many have had the same thing happen. Cooling off is OK, getting too hot is what will kill them for sure so be very careful if you decide to add some unregulated heat somehow.

The weak one may have died anyway, or the stress of the move and temperature took it. So sorry for that, but honestly the hatched ones are more likely to harm in the case of a power outage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by