My precious 15 week old buff orpington roo weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tjs22, Jul 2, 2016.

1. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    I have a roo that I just adore. He is just the sweetest, he takes naps on my lap and likes to spend time with me, so I probably shouldn't have let myself get so attached. This morning I let all the birds out in the run and one look and I knew his comb color was off pailer, with the tips slightly darkened. Few hours later my gut instinct was confirmed. I checked on him and he was laying in the sun sleeping. Which I thought was odd, all the others we picking around. So I picked him up and he is weak. He snuggled his head into my arm and closed his eyes. I brought him in the coop out of the wind, he's just sitting on the perch, awake when I last checked on him. He does free range I'm worried he ate something. Who knows.. does anyone have stories of how a seemingly sick chicken got better? And advice on what I should do to care for him? No sneezes or coughs eyes nostrils are clear crop felt squishy idk...

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Crop squishy?
    How does his breath smell?
    How is your weather - hot, cold?
    Any new additions to your flock?
    Any moldy, rotten, food/compost he could have eaten/gotten into?
    What does his poop look like?

Check his crop, when you say it's squishy, it could be a crop problem, that would be the first thing I would investigate.

Provide fresh clean water, wet poultry feed (no treats at the moment) and grit.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

3. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Never thought to smell his breath...lol But I just did, it smells like dog breath, kinda fishy? I don't know about his poo, he is with so many others. He's still on the perch.. the crop feels kinda big and still soft. The weather had been warm, 70s low 80s. And we did add 2 new birds recently, no quarantine stupid me, the whole flock appeared to be in good health. 2 /3 weeks ago.They seem fine. And all my other birds seem fine..

4. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Yesterday my son fed them 2 pieces of bread, between 25 birds... do you think that's why? We have a busy day, but tonight I'm going to bring him in the house so I can keep a close eye on him, and tend to him better

5. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Okay, saw his poo it is watery and like a grass green color.. I massaged his crop for about 5 mins and brought him to water, he drink quite a bit.

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It sounds like he may have a sour crop.
    Treatment options are listed in the links provided above.

7. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Thank you for responding. I just put the chickens in bed, aka did a head count and closed up the coop for the night. My roo's crop is still squishy, I felt others to compare, his definitely feels much different. I massaged it a few times today. He still seems ill. I tried to feed him some bread soaked in oil, but he wasn't interested.
    My husband isn't keen on the idea of having him in the house. I'm worried our daily noises will stress him also. My toddler is very loud. I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. Really hope he makes it. Figures, the one chicken I bond with....

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If you can separate him in a kennel in the run during the day so you can monitor him that may help, he would probably do better outside where he can be near the flock, you don't want to add extra stress on him while he is ill. Separating also lets him rest a bit and keeps him protected from any attacks. Chickens will try to act normal until they just can't and the others will often attack another that shows signs of illness/weakness.

Make sure it's in a shaded area so he doesn't overheat.

Provide fresh cold water, his normal feed only (you can offer it wet if you like) and grit. (no treats at the moment).
    Some people use monistat to help with sour crop problems.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/630307/sour-crop-cured-with-monistat
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

9. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    I let the birds out this morning and he is in the same condition. His crop was still huge and fluidy like, so I decided to empty his crop. (Thank you, YouTube!) It was disgusting, lots of white fluid and it smells like sour milk. He's in the coop by himself, I closed the chicken door to keep the others out for the day It's nice out, they free range all day anyway. I gave him acv in his water, and some coconut oil and yogurt with baby food (green beans) in a dish. Things that I know help with bacteria and yeast. Hope I did the right thing. He is just so tired. I did get him to drink little. I'm wondering when I should start force feeding if it comes to that? Haven't read your links yet but I will! Thank you SO much for your replies. It's nice to have somewhere to go and knowledgeable people to help you!!!!

10. tjs22

tjs22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2016
    Update: he was extremely weak all day. I bought some monistat to try, but I knew chances were slim that he would make it, his comb got like a dark cherry color also, and he barely could walk or open his eyes. I mashed up the medicine with a touch a peas(baby food) and opened his beak and out a little bit in at a time.He was so weak he was basically lifeless. Went out for a few hours came back and he had passed away.
    Is it normal for sour crop to kill so fast? I literally just noticed yesterday, and I am very observant of my birds. I'm wondering what the under lying problem may have been.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by