My precious silkie chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chookcrazy, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Chookcrazy

Chookcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    It all started when I just had to incubate some eggs. I brought a dozen eggs on the internet and incubated them. I also added three of my own white silkie eggs. The silkie eggs were three times smaller then the shipped eggs so I was scared they would produce really small chicks.
    Three weeks later I had 9 chicks wandering around in my incubator, three of which that were suprisingly small. One of the silkies had splayed legs so I quickly put a bandaid on it and named it Clumsy.I had to separate them from the larger chicks because they were getting trampled. They were my little angels. At night when we were watching TV they would sleep in their sock on my lap. they would fall asleep in your hands and you could turn them upside down and swing them around and they would still remain asleep.
    Clumsy's legs quickly healed and everything was good and well until they were two weeks old. I had put the bigger ones in a cage out on the grass a few days earlier and decided to put the silkies in with them for a couple of hours. I checked on them often but then i needed to go into town for an hour. when i returned two of the baby silkies had disappeared. Only Clumsy was left. We searched for the others for three hours and found nothing. We couldn't even hear the faintest little chirp. Our three dogs wouldn't have gone near them let alone eat them and there were no big enough holes in the cage for them to squeeze out. It is a mystery to where they got to.
    It was obvious to see that clumsy was being bullied by the others so they had to be separated again. That's when Clumsy became attached to me. It followed me around the house everywhere I went and It cried when it couldn't see me. I had became it's mother. Because it was extremely noisy when i wasn't near it I put it in my handbag when I went shopping and everywhere i went. it sleeps on my bedside table at night and jumps onto my bed at five in the morning every day and snuggles up to me.
    I think I am becoming too attached to it.

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Thats so sweet! Sorry about your other babies though. I just had a hatch 3 standards and 1 silkie. Thankfully they all get along okay and she isn't trampled, but I do worry about that, and will worry more as they get bigger and she stays small.

3. Chookcrazy

Feb 29, 2012
    Clumsy is now getting snuggled up to my neck as I type this.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    The perfect chicken mom!

5. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Awww!!! That is so cute! [​IMG]

6. Mzkynd

Mzkynd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Manistee, MI
    So sorry to hear of your missing chickies, but Clumsy sounds like such a character!

7. MollyAngel

MollyAngel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    That is so cute! One of my hens got a five inch gash on her in an attack and became very attached to me as well. She still comes running when I clap my hands and call her name. It is lovely to have them so close, isn't it? My only issue with Molly is that she poops everywhere! I think it's cute; Mom thinks its gross. LOL. Also, when your baby gets bigger, she/he may be lonely for other birds. Have him/her walk around with your birds and then remove the little guy when he is getting bullied. Wait until he is bigger to put him in if they have already forgotten him. Hope this helps!

8. Chookcrazy

Feb 29, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I have already tried to introduce her to the other chickens but she just cries and hides in between my feet. I'm thinking of getting another silkie the same age and then put them in together so she has a friend. As for the poo it doesn't do it on people for some reason, only outside or on the floor. :/

9. MollyAngel

MollyAngel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2012
    Molly doesn't usually poo on me unless she is really scared. Getting another baby will help- maybe get several and have them live together for a while. Then introduce them all at once. All the other hens will be so busy trying to keep her spot in the pecking order that no particular baby will be picked on the most. We got 8 Easter Egger pullets that we all introduced after quarantining them to our fully grown hens. It was chaos for a few days, but now they are all okay. Most of them stay indoors though while the others go in the run. Or you could build another coop for your babies near the other one. That idea won't work for most though. I hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by