My problem child!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MaestrosMomma, Aug 23, 2011.

1. MaestrosMomma

MaestrosMomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    I am just about to go throught he expense of setting up another temp coop outside of my big one for my problem child. I thought maybe someone might shed some light on what's going on and save the building of a temp home. Hopefully.

I began this chicken obsession a year ago in April. I bought two of each breed (4 chickens total, it was my first year), so everyone had a match. In March we lost my Margret to a hawk. Her breed match is Matilda, my problem child. I could swear she just never got over loosing Margret. Ever since April she has been super bossy. The other two chickens with her could hold their own so I didn't feel the need to do anything. Except for the fact that she quit laying eggs around then and has not laid another since. She is healthy and BIG. This past April I got 6 more chickens and when they (the two flocks) were finally mixed she bossed them around too. Again, I didn't do anything because no one was getting hurt and I am getting used to the pecking order thing.

Now she is going out of her way to cause trouble. She bites at tails of younger chickens and pushes them around even more. Each "set" of chickens have their own roosts at night. We had one in there for the 4 girls then when we blended the flocks we put in another. She has left the roost she has been sleeping on for a year now just to go where the little ones go (some are as big as her though). She gets on there and won't let the young ones on. Every night I have to move her (eye roll). I am also noticing she is not getting along with my other two original chickens. They seem to dislike her if that makes sense.

My other two OC's (original chickens) are laying just fine. Why is she like this and why won't she lay?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Your problem child is causing upset and tension amongst your whole flock. The way to handle this is to do what society does to those who are anti-social. Either lock her away or get rid of her. You can probably get rid of her by giving her away on CraigsList if you are too attached to use any other method. You have to harden yourself to this, and stop thinking of her as a 'child', but rather as a problem chicken that is causing problems for all the other chickens as well as for you. It is very unlikely that this hen will ever improve and life is too short do spend it dealing with problems. Chickens are great to own and fun to watch do their goofy things and you should realize that you are in charge of them, not as a mother but as a source of food and well being.

[​IMG]

3. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    Ok then. I am going to go ahead with seperating her to her own coop. She's a pet, we don't eat any bird meat so I will keep her. Thank you for responding and helping me decide. [​IMG]

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I think you have made a wise decision. Even though she may be in jail 'for life', you can still take care of her. The main thing is that she will not be able to disrupt or damage the other girls.

5. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    She will have me too and free ranging. Not too hard of a life. I just got back with fencing and such. I am going to put the newer coop right on the other side of my big coop so she can still see them. Now to catch her, lol. She never comes to me. The flock will be loosing their livingroom though.

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Why don't you just sell her?

7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    You may be able to reintegrate her after she has spent some time in chicken jail. She can lose her place in the pecking order, and as the younger chicks grow and mature, they may be less vunerable to bullying. To catch her, you may have to wait till night and nab her off the roost. Good luck!

8. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    It might be the end of the day, but I'm done. Funny thing, she seems pretty happy. Her two buddies...not so much, lol. They are standing at the fence line looking at her. Maybe they are just envious of all the green grass she has! As you can see I placed her as close as possible. I hope some time before winter I can get her back in the big coop, if not I will have to work a bit on this little coop to make it winter ready. Thanks again for all the help today [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    Yeah, I thought about waiting but she was just so nosey, it was simple to get her in. I just love chickens, lol.

10. MaestrosMomma

Jul 11, 2010
    oh, I don't want to sell her because I don't want anyone to eat her, lol. I am a big ol' baby. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by