my problems and what to do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kasey08, Aug 13, 2010.

1. kasey08

kasey08 Aunt Kasey's Farm 8 Years

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    I was given a incubator and tried it for the first time. 4 pipped but didnt do anything else so i helped them out. all died and i admit it was my fault [​IMG] i tried buying some online and a week before they hatched i had to cancel due to low money. so i tried my incubator again out of 16. 8 made it to lock down. hatch day one hatches and then dies that night. the next day(day 22) 2 hatches late that night i desided to candle my eggs real fast a few had huge air sac (dont know if thats good) and one was all dark but i saw a shadow of it and i think i saw a foot is it dead? and one i think i saw breathing. so what i need to know is if i should wait longer(today is day 23)? if so how long? and my 2 chicks are still alive but are still not walking around good is this normal? i gave them some sugar water to help and they seem a lil better today.

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Need more info. How did you aquire the eggs? What bator are you using? Temps running? Autoturner or hand? Humidity during incubation and at lockdown? You should never open the bator during a hatch, wait until you feel they have all hatched. Opening the door is one of the biggest killers in a hatch. They will be fine for atleast 3 days in the hatcher.

3. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    the eggs are from my chickens idk about the incubator its old and round you have to lift the whole top to open. the temp has been pretty good stayed at 97-98 f most of time a few time it hit 102f but i got it down. the humidity has been about 45, lock down was 67-70s. and i hand turned 3 times a day. i have read that if non are pipped you can really fast candle it didnt take long for 5 eggs. one chick fell on its back a few times and i had to help it

4. kasey08

Mar 29, 2010
    Scottsboro, AL
    it doesnt matter anymore. all are dead thanks to my dumb kitten

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: