My Processing Station

Elke Beck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2011
Sunny So Cal
I thought I would post some pictures of how I set up my processing station. Everyone has different ways of doing it, and this is mine.

This is the killing station. I zip tie the cone of silence to the shelf of my old step ladder. It works surprisingly well. I have a garbage bag clothes pinned to the supports of the ladder so that the bottom of the cone is inside the bag. The bag drooped a little, but I usually lift it up once I have cut the chicken. sorry about the messy garage in the background - spring cleaning is coming soon!

This is my plucking station, or as I call Chicken Bumps Nudist Camp. The drill is zip tied to an old folding table. It works very well, but I am still trying to get the speed right. BTW, you do not want to hit your fingers with the plucker, unless you like dancing around holding your hand and and muttering profanities. BTW, tomorrow I will attach plastic drop cloth to the wire frame so that the feathers do not go everywhere. Under the plucker is a large plastic pot with a garbage bag inside. The pot is wide enough to catch a lot, and tall enough that it is right under the plucker.

As you can see, easy clean up is a big deal for me.

looks good! do you like the drill plucker? I thought about getting one, but wasn't sure how well they worked. I drew out my kill plan, I made two cones (two sizes) out of flashing. We have portable tables for cutting and large ice chests. I have heard that a turkey frier works great for the scalder. I am not a chicken butcher, but I do know how to butcher everything else. I think poultry is probably just messier. I wish my birds were not so friendly! Its hard to kill friendly critters! I got 16 roos for eating will keep two for the flock. I think next year I will get more. By then I will have a system down.

I am not that impressed with the Power Plucker. It works okay, but I don't think it saves that much time is you scald right.

I thought I would post some pictures of how I set up my processing station. Everyone has different ways of doing it, and this is mine.

This is the killing station. I zip tie the cone of silence to the shelf of my old step ladder. It works surprisingly well. I have a garbage bag clothes pinned to the supports of the ladder so that the bottom of the cone is inside the bag. The bag drooped a little, but I usually lift it up once I have cut the chicken. sorry about the messy garage in the background - spring cleaning is coming soon!

This is my plucking station, or as I call Chicken Bumps Nudist Camp. The drill is zip tied to an old folding table. It works very well, but I am still trying to get the speed right. BTW, you do not want to hit your fingers with the plucker, unless you like dancing around holding your hand and and muttering profanities. BTW, tomorrow I will attach plastic drop cloth to the wire frame so that the feathers do not go everywhere. Under the plucker is a large plastic pot with a garbage bag inside. The pot is wide enough to catch a lot, and tall enough that it is right under the plucker.

As you can see, easy clean up is a big deal for me.
I'm not sure if I should be laughing, but I got a snicker out of the "Cone of Silence". The nudist camp gave me a smirk. :)

I'm not sure if I should be laughing, but I got a snicker out of the "Cone of Silence". The nudist camp gave me a smirk. :)

Glad it tickled your funny bone.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom