My project

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cutiepieacres, May 11, 2009.

1. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I am super excited to finally have my project under way. I raise Texel guinea pigs for show and LOVE Texels in Himalayan but they are almost impossible to find. I am more than willing to ship them in or get them here any way possible but after a few months of searching and coming up with nothing I talked with another breeder who has "created" a few colors of her own in breeds that were hard to find certain varieties(colors) in.

By sheer chance I did have a Himi mismark born here to two non-himi parents and she was probably the one who hooked me on the idea of getting Texels in himi unfortunatley no matter what I bred her to in the colors I had she produced no himis. Her name is Cutie Pie Acres Oddity
    [​IMG]

My project involves more than one generation to get the Himis. I am breeding Americans(smooth short hair) in himi with Texels in black and Oddity. Generation 1 I got American looking babies in black, chocolate and even some himis out of Oddity and a American himi boar.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

By chance I happend to also find two baby Texel siblings in himi. These guys are super adorable but they are not out of Texels or himis at least in the 3 generations we know of so genetically I dont know how they are going to breed. But they are sure cute!
    You can see pics of these little cuties at the bottom of my page here , they are too big to post here.

its a work in progress but I hope to get some show quality Texels in himi someday!!

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    No idea what a texel or a himi is, but they are cuties!

3. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    Quote:Thanks!
    Texels are a breed of Guinea pig, they have a long curly coat. You can see Oddity's coat in the pic as an example.

Himi or Himalayan is the color they are all white, with dark points on the nose, ears and feet and pink eyes.

here is another example of a Texel and you can see his whole coat.
    [​IMG]

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Jackie,
    My girlfriend down here is like you and has had a himi satin silkie boar pop out of non him parents. She is hooked and I find it hilarious because she has hated pink eyes until now. LOL We are saving as many silkie self blacks we can in our recent litters to help her in her new project. I believe she will show him a bit first since he is so cool, but then try some breeding and see if she cannot produce more. One of his parents was actually a black roan. The other a red satin silkie. She will probably have to line breed quite a bit to actually get a line going. I am sure you are planning something similar.

There is a lady in north Texas who has intermixed Texels into her herd to create Merinos. I love her coronet stock as it mixes really well with mine. On occasion we get a texel baby out of one of her coronets and a silkie or coronet of ours. So see if you cannot find a himi in long hair so you don't have to work so hard to gain coat length back. Even a peruvian would be better than an American. Then you would just have to work on getting better quality curl back into the line.

Good luck! Your Oddity is just gorgeous.

5. cutiepieacres

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I have found people that dont like the pink eyes dont really notice nor do they mind it on the himis? lol, who knows. I happen to love pink eyes!

I did at first look at finding a Silkie in Himi since that would be the best bet but found nothing. The 2nd easiet way I found is actually using the American. The length and curl come back in the 2nd generation, if bred back to a Texel you will get some nice Texel babies. Any other breed though I am looking at breeding out traits that I dont want like rosettes, ridges, coronets etc.

I bet your friends himi was related to the roan on the one side, Himi's are often used in roan programs and can pop out of roans. The himi I got came out of two sable/whites and I guess(someone told me) Sable is also related to himi which may be where she came from, but her mom has yet to have another himi even when I bred her to the American Himi boar I didnt get any himis.

I have a little Merino sow, they are cute. I got her from a friend she came out of one of my Texels and a Texel boar with an unknown background. I am breeding her back to a Texel boar I am not sure yet if all get mostly Texels or Merinos...

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I did speak to the breeder from which this satin silkie himi boar's dam came from and she has had some pop out here and there. She said it was rare though. We have also had a lot of chocolates and black roans produced, but still chasing after that dream of a red roan. LOL Funny how some colors are harder to find and over the years are dropping out of sight. Like good White Americans here in Texas are little to none. Where as five years ago you had a hard time beating them on the table. Then had a breeder in Ok come down and said he has had a hard time finding broken Americans. Down here there are several of us that work with them.

I do work with broken Americans in silver agouti and silver solid. I do get sable and white out of that stock and also silent silvers. I have yet to get a himi from any of that line. The sables generally produce a silver if I care to keep them. In the beginning with this line I did, but now I see no value for my line, so they find pet homes. A silent silver can really look like a himi wannabe though. They do not get any nose smutt and some even have skin spots on their feet.

I really do like the Merinos. We have a little Texel roan sow from that breeder that I may breed into the coronets and see if I get one. She is showing them here under the Australian standard and everyone is loving seeing them. Maybe one day they will be recognized.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by