My pullet Barred rock is acting like a roo..

Fishandchicks4

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2021
Northern Virginia
Hello, I recently got 4 pullets from a farm with one of them being a barred rock. They are now two weeks old. From the day I brought them home, the barred rock has been the loudest and most vocal. It also is the most confrontational of the the four hens (not overly aggressive). The primary thing that has me concerned it might be male is how it carries itself around the brooder. Its head is almost always outstretched and raised unlike the rest of the chicks that are normally laid back. I don't know if this is roo behavior or if she is just in line to be top hen. The feathers are a little odd to me as well. I've looked at other feeds on barred rock and mine doesn't have the characteristic speckled pattern that other females do. It also doesn't have the well defined stripes that males typically do.

If it turns out to be male, I can exchange it with the farmer. However, I would like to do that as soon as possible because I want to socialize them and have the best chance at them being friendly. If I can't come to a conclusive answer I think I might just have to wait it out... Here are a couple pictures of her/him.
pepper.jpg
pepper 2.jpg

As long as it's a good quality full barred rock then I'll say pullet. I never go by attitude or stance anymore because I have had quite a few girls who were bolder and stood nice and tall. They still stand tall now as hens.

Back
Top Bottom