My pullet can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by finegansfarm, Aug 17, 2010.

1. finegansfarm

finegansfarm New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    I have a 5 month old Cuckoo Maran pullet that in the past few weeks I have noticed cannot walk. I have raised her from a chick and she has been fine until now. All of the other pullets that she was raised with are fine. Her feet are limp, but otherwise she seems healthy and is not being picked on by the others. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her?

2. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    [​IMG]

I hope someone will post some help for you!

But in the mean time WELCOME to BYC
    Lots of information in the "search" button
    good luck with your pullet

3. CaliBlueChicken

CaliBlueChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    Hmmm.... not sure. How are her droppings? Is she eating? Lost any weight? If you look at the Emergencies/Diseases/ Injurys and Cures page at the top there is a questionier... answer those questions and maybe someone with more knowledge will know what to do. Good luck.

4. 8hipchicks

8hipchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2009
    Quote:How do you mean her feet are limp? If you hold her and use your finger as a "perch" does she grasp them? or is it that she just doesn't seem to support her weight?

Have you checked her skin for lice/mites?

5. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    poor baby. is she getting enough food. well let me explain that. in my chickens pecking order there is one small really small.chicken this bird is slit smaller always has been I have to take him /her to the corner to feed and then he/she won't even eat till the others are done only a bite or two. Mabey try some electrolyte and see if it will get her strength back up. hope she gets well.

6. finegansfarm

finegansfarm New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for providing such a helpful site. I have visited the site many times, but decided to join yesterday. In answer to the question about my Cuckoo Maran, her feet are limp and she is not able to grip anything. All of my chickens are free range, and have access to food, bugs, kitchen scraps, etc. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by