My pullet disssappeard about an hour ago and I'm devastated

JDChickChat

Cluck Crazy
Jun 6, 2020
Jacobstown, New Jersey
I had my 7, 7 week old chicks, 6 pullets (and 1 roo I suspect) outside in my fully fenced 1/2 acre yard to free range like I have been for the last week. I was outside gardening and I heard a commotion of only one of the chicks so I went running over and I found 6 out of 7 just scratching away, no sign of my 1 Dominique, Harriet. I put all the chicks in the coop while I searched the yard high and low (we do have 2 large wood piles and 2 piles of small branches that she may have been able to hide in but I looked pretty well a d saw nothing. I opened I coop and now my 5 girls are on the highest roost in their coop not coming out and my roo is hiding under a stack of wood.

I also looked for feathers in the yard as a sign of a predator attack and there was none. I'm so heartbroken right now. Someone please help me. I dont know what to do and I'm devastated.

I had my 7, 7 week old chicks, 6 pullets (and 1 roo I suspect) outside in my fully fenced 1/2 acre yard to free range like I have been for the last week. I was outside gardening and I heard a commotion of only one of the chicks so I went running over and I found 6 out of 7 just scratching away, no sign of my 1 Dominique, Harriet. I put all the chicks in the coop while I searched the yard high and low (we do have 2 large wood piles and 2 piles of small branches that she may have been able to hide in but I looked pretty well a d saw nothing. I opened I coop and now my 5 girls are on the highest roost in their coop not coming out and my roo is hiding under a stack of wood.

I also looked for feathers in the yard as a sign of a predator attack and there was none. I'm so heartbroken right now. Someone please help me. I dont know what to do and I'm devastated.

I cant even bare to think about that. I'm a mess right now over this, my husband thinks I'm crazy lol.

I'd guess hawk or fox. So sorry about your little one! The same thing happened to me last year! :hugs

A fox cant get into my yard, its fully enclosed and I checked for burrow holes.

How many did you loose? I'm just afraid whatever it is will come back and pick off the flock one by one and theres really nothing else I can do to protect them

A fox cant get into my yard, its fully enclosed and I checked for burrow holes.

How many did you loose? I'm just afraid whatever it is will come back and pick off the flock one by one and theres really nothing else I can do to protect them
I only lost that one. I think mine was a fox. Sounds like yours was a hawk. I don't know if it will come back for more, I don't know much about hawk attacks. Good luck!

I am so sorry! I hope the little chick is just hiding somewhere. I had a chick disappear and reappear 18 hours later! They can roost much higher than adult chickens too. I hope this turns out to be the case for you. I am so sorry :(

Same here. Thank you so much. I'm trying not to be overly emotional about this but all of my animals are pets so it makes it hard when one is injured, sick or killed. I pray shes just hiding. I looked in the trees but she is black and white and kind of blends well with nature.

I just hope she shows her face tonight.

Sorry :(
I lost a 9 week old pullet last week... she was there and then she wasn't. I would double check to make sure there was no way she could've escaped. I believe mine may have wandered out away from the run, got scared by my dog into the bush, and was taken at night.

Hope your girl is around there somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom