My Pullet has a black eye!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by mikki717, Nov 6, 2010.

1. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    This morning I went out to give out treats, and was startled to see blood on one of my White Leghorn pullets! I looked closer, and saw that her eye was from where she was bleeding.

I grabbed her up, and looked more closely. Her eyeball was fine, but she had a decent cut on the lower lid... probably from a pecking order peck down.

I brought her inside, putting her in a travel cage, and gathered the first aid supplies. After the initial twitch and squack of being "captured" she settled down and let me doctor her.

I cleaned her up with water, but the cut was like a split lip, so I mixed up a little iodine water to clean it. I used a Q-Tip to do the dainty work. Using another Q-Tip, I put some Blu Kote around her eye lid. I don't want the others pecking at her injury and actually getting her eyeball this time!

Now she looks like she went three rounds in the boxing ring!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other than the black eye, she is fine.

Just call her Michaela Tyson!

2. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Poor baby!! I think pecking as well. [​IMG]

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh poor thing! i will gladly cuddle her [​IMG]

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    lucky she didnt lose an eye that was close. Hope she heals quickly, maybe put her in some self defence classes lol.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Goodness! Sounds like you did some excellent doctoring!

6. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I had two young serama cockerals in a pen that did this to each other. They both had black eyes and faces! Finally head cockeral was established and no more boxing rounds. Now to find new homes for these boys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by