My pullet has a naked bum?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gundawg, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Gundawg

Gundawg Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    Why does my pullet have a naked bum? She is about 7 months old and the bald spot has been getting bigger. I am not sure if one of the other chickens is doing this we have a total of 18 birds one is a Cockerel the same age and one is an older hen but the older hen is a loner so I know it is not her doing this I never see them fighting or anything and all the rest of them have their bum feathers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    I'm guessing you have a feather picker, and it's probably being done while on the roost.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I agree with Friday that 'someone' is probably feather plucking/eating.

4. Gundawg

Gundawg Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    That could be a I have a Buff Orphington I have seen peck at the other ones bums but none of the rest of them are missing a bunch of feathers like this one.

5. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    She may be starting to molt. I have a hen who lost a good many feathers there.

6. CWP1966

CWP1966 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    I have some the same way. Hatched this spring. Marans and Barred Rocks look like that, but not as bad. Orpingtons and White Rocks look fine. No mites or lice. I have different level roost. The whites and buffs usually stay on the lower roost. Maybe they are eating feathers around the vent. My Barred rooster stays up high and his butt looks a little bad too. No feathers on the floor. Didn't think they would molt this first year. Another coop/run I have has a white crested black polish rooster in there with 12 mostly larger hens. His head stays bald in the back, Still has his dread locks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by