My Pullet has been severely pecked on her head and has a flap of skin hanging

Lamby

Hatching
Oct 18, 2022
I'm not sure what to do. One of our pullets had it's headed ripped from the Rooster. My husband seen him grabbing her by the neck and head yesterday morning and we know it's supposed to be a part of mating (no blood etc... at that time). Came home in evening, and it looks like she got shot in the head it's so bad. It looks like all the chickens and rooster pecked at the poor thing all day. We immediately removed her and brought her inside. We have also gotten rid of the aggressive rooster.
So now we have Lucy (our now named indoor chicken) inside in a large dog crate. I cleaned up the wound with soap and water and then peroxide, then I put neosporin on the whole wound. There is a flap of skin (about 1x1 inch), just hanging there, the flesh under is a red pecked bumpy mess and there is a lot of meat and skin just totally gone. She looks like she has been scalped. Can she heal from this? When I was cleaning it, she actually just sat in my arms calmly and closed her eyes. Now she's happily eating and foraging and acts totally normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive might know. they've been working in the chicken hospital since BYC became a site!
is your rooster humping all the hens that hard, or just that one? either way it's bad, but if he's doing it that badly to all your ladies, you may want to consider checking how much space there is in your freezer. by that, I mean considering culling your rooster. the worse the roo, the sweeter the stew.

I'm not sure what to do. One of our pullets had it's headed ripped from the Rooster. My husband seen him grabbing her by the neck and head yesterday morning and we know it's supposed to be a part of mating (no blood etc... at that time). Came home in evening, and it looks like she got shot in the head it's so bad. It looks like all the chickens and rooster pecked at the poor thing all day. We immediately removed her and brought her inside. We have also gotten rid of the aggressive rooster.
So now we have Lucy (our now named indoor chicken) inside in a large dog crate. I cleaned up the wound with soap and water and then peroxide, then I put neosporin on the whole wound. There is a flap of skin (about 1x1 inch), just hanging there, the flesh under is a red pecked bumpy mess and there is a lot of meat and skin just totally gone. She looks like she has been scalped. Can she heal from this? When I was cleaning it, she actually just sat in my arms calmly and closed her eyes. Now she's happily eating and foraging and acts totally normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of Lucy's wounds?

Sounds like you are treating the wound like I would, you cleaned it and applied ointment.
If needed, trim feathers away from the wound so they don't stick in the ointment. If you find you need to clean/flush the wound again, then omit the Peroxide. Use saline, chlorhexidine (hibiclens) or a little soapy water will work as well.

The photos will help us see the flap of skin. Me personally, I've had them with hanging skin, I let that be since it was already sort of drying up. It will dry and fall off or you may need to trim it in a few weeks, time will tell.

Chickens have a very good chance of surviving injury like scalping. Her eating and moving about is a good sign. Keeping the wound cleaned, moist with the ointment and just general care goes a long way in helping her heal.

How old is Lucy?
How old is the rooster?

I would cull this rooster. I had picked out the best specimen of 4 heritage RIR cockerels from some precious eggs someone sent me. The others were separated. The lucky one then went out and scalped my dingaling polish hen who did not allow anyone to mate her. He ran her out of the barnyard and left her in a ditch where I found her. He went to the henhouse in the sky that day.

Here is Lucy, the white piece over the dark is the flap, I have it all neosporined, under and on top. I trimmed all the feathers back. In the one picture you can see where there is another chunk out of her neck. The rooster is gone, for anyone wondering. Thanks for everyone's help.

Attachments

• 20221018_160916.jpg
    20221018_160916.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221018_160841.jpg
    20221018_160841.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221018_160729.jpg
    20221018_160729.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221018_160910.jpg
    20221018_160910.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 28
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of Lucy's wounds?

Sounds like you are treating the wound like I would, you cleaned it and applied ointment.
If needed, trim feathers away from the wound so they don't stick in the ointment. If you find you need to clean/flush the wound again, then omit the Peroxide. Use saline, chlorhexidine (hibiclens) or a little soapy water will work as well.

The photos will help us see the flap of skin. Me personally, I've had them with hanging skin, I let that be since it was already sort of drying up. It will dry and fall off or you may need to trim it in a few weeks, time will tell.

Chickens have a very good chance of surviving injury like scalping. Her eating and moving about is a good sign. Keeping the wound cleaned, moist with the ointment and just general care goes a long way in helping her heal.

How old is Lucy?
How old is the rooster?
I added some pictures. Lucy and the rooster are 5 months old. All the hens were making worried noises before. Now that he is gone, the all seem calm and happy now. There is another rooster, but he's not aggressive, but will be watching closely.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive might know. they've been working in the chicken hospital since BYC became a site!
is your rooster humping all the hens that hard, or just that one? either way it's bad, but if he's doing it that badly to all your ladies, you may want to consider checking how much space there is in your freezer. by that, I mean considering culling your rooster. the worse the roo, the sweeter the stew.
He is gone. He seemed to only do this to Lucy. We inspected the rest of the girls and they are fine, but my husband took care of him.

Keep the wound clean and covered with ointment to keep it moist. Reapply several times a day as needed. If there is enough blood flow the flap may reattach and heal there, if not, it will dry up and come off eventually. I had one scalped, there was no flap, I kept it clean and covered in ointment and it healed up fine. It formed a very thick scab. Once the scab was coming off on it's own I stopped the ointment. You will also need to make sure that no one can peck her wound until it's healed up enough to be safe, I kept mine crated in the run so she could still see and be seen by everybody, so she went right back to the flock when it was time with no issues. Picture below was about 5 weeks after, feathers were just starting to grow back.
headwound.jpg

Glad you got rid of that Roo! Hope Lucy pulls through, she probably will just make sure everything around her sanitary so there’s no chance of infection! Glad you were able to help her out seems like you know just what to do! (Ps once everything has healed up and her feathers are starting to grow back which will probably take 1+ month Watch closely to make sure the other hand don’t peck that bald spot, again with the dog crate in the run make sure she has access to them more of a you can look but not touch situation just so everyone knows she’s still part of the flock ext.

Back
Top Bottom