My pullet is having an affair. Now with pics!

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Love is in the air.
love.gif

Our neighbors 2 houses down have chickens. Our birds have been visiting their birds and vice versa for about 2 weeks. They always find their way back. I'm a bit worried about diseases with the mingling, but at this point, what can I do? Either keep them in their run all the time or let them roam. The other chickens look really healthy and the owners have never had any problems, so I'm letting them roam.

Anyhoo, my EE Felicity didn't come back with the rest of her flock two days ago. It wasn't dark yet, so I wasn't really worried, but the kids and I tromped through the woods just to check on her. She was hanging out with a little roo about her age (she's 20 weeks). I think he's a red sex link. They were just hanging together away from the flock, totally having a great time. The kids and I tried to catch her, but she did NOT want to be caught. We sort of chased her home (in a slow, gentle way) and her little boyfriend came along. Yesterday Felicity disappeared by herself again and today the boyfriend is in our yard without the rest of his flock. He's very considerate. He was scratching in the woods and found something tasty and called her over and moved back so she could eat. Our roo never does that. He's kind of a pig.

So can this long distance love affair continue? Will she eventually just want to join his flock? He ours? Do chickens form lasting friendships or partnerships?

It's actually very sweet.
love.gif

Last edited:
I think its time that you sit them all down and tell them about the birds and the bees!!! You don't want to wait until you have 10 or 15 babies running around your feet. I think that it's best that you nip it in the bud ASAP!!!

I'm going to try and get a picture of the lovebirds tomorrow. My roo keeps chasing the new guy off, but he just keeps coming back to hang with his girl. awww.....

awwwww haha thats so sweet
smile.png
i hape your neighbors or you dont move till their love affair is over
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom