My pullet is having trouble seeing, What can I do for her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BookWorm243, May 19, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Hello,
    My BCM pullet I have noticed has some trouble seeing. I first noticed it when I took the cockerel ( Henry ) out and she froze in the middle of the run. She stood there calling out to him trying to find out where to go [​IMG] She seems to really depend on him. She always seems to have her head tilted with her right eye looking up and her left eye facing the ground. I keep the food and water in one spot to make it easier for her. Tonight I took the food dish out to refill it and as I walked by she caught on that I had it. She ran over to where I keep it and was waiting for it, so I tried moving in to the other side. She had no clue where it was until Henry called her over. I also noticed when she tries to peck and something, say a piece of scrambled egg. It takes her a couple try's to actually grab it. Could this be something that can be fixed? I have looked at her eyes and they seem fine. I was able to get a video of her, sorry it is not the best.

Video

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    I have a 12 week old barred rock that also seems to have vision trouble. her eyes look like they are bulging, not the slightly rounded eyes of my other chicks. Her depth perception is very bad so that when I offer her treats in my hand she goes after it with determination and grabs my fingers, OUCH. Please let me know if you find out anything, I don't want my other 3 chicks to get sick.[​IMG]

3. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I am so sorry to hear that [​IMG] She is really bad about that to, I had her brake my skin on my finger trying to eat the treat in my palm.

4. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Any one else?

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I wasn't able to watch the video, I'm sorry (old computer). Silly question- have you checked her beak shape? Compare it to henry's and see if either the top or bottom is more overgrown than his. I had a roo I thought was having trouble seeing and it turned out that his beak is misshapen so he had a hard time getting food. I realize that this wouldn't explain the pausing in the middle of the run or not finding the food dish right away, just thought I'd put it out there.

6. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I went out and checked her beak. It looks fine to me she did run into the wall today [​IMG]

7. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I know chickens can be born blind but beyond that I don't know. It sounds like you are doing what you can for her. I was an assistant for a gentleman who was blind. Placement is everything! It sounds like she has already memorized where the feed is and Henry sounds like a good assistant! No easy answers but I hope she does ok - she's a cutie who looks like one of my chicks right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by