1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My pullet is shaking, won't leave the nesting box! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kiki17, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    We picked up 5 pullets on Friday, everything looked okay on Saturday and Sunday, but Monday morning the 10-week old Buff Orphington was a little slow and lethargic, this got worse throughout the day (in hindsight she also didn't eat much yesterday). She was puffed up and antisocial most of the evening. This morning when I went to let them out of the coop, she wouldn't leave the nesting box. She was shaking and puffed up. I checked for lice and other parasites and didn't see any obvious signs of either. The other 4 chickens seems to be settling in and have not exhibited any of these symptoms. What could it be?

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Shaking?
    Could you post a video on you tube then link it here?

Could she be broody?
    Did you add these 5 to an existing coop with other chickens?

3. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    We are first timers, everything was new, no existing chickens. I'm at the farm store now, I'll get a video when I get home. Not sure about the broody, is she too young?

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Ten weeks is way to young for a hen to be broody. She probably won't even start laying for another 10 weeks.
    Where did you get them from? Have you seen any of her poo?

5. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    not specifically her poo.

She got worse while I was at the store. Can't stand up anymore.

6. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017

It's worse,she can't stand now.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks neurological to me, possibly from a seizure-like activity, or from a head injury. Mareks or a vitamin deficiency could be possible as well. Separate her from the others, and contact the sellers. Place her near food and water. put a lot of water in some chicken feed to make it runny. Electrolytes with vitamins for chickens from a feed store would be beneficial. Do you know if they were vaccinated for Mareks? Here is a long article about Mareks disease: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Wyorp Rock and MAchicken105 like this.
  8. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    I left a message for the seller, I'll find out about vaccinations. She won't leave the nesting box and the others don't know how to get back into the coop by themselves, so they'll stay separated. Also picked up a separate waterer and some electrolytes at the feed store, so looks like I was on the right track.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  9. Kiki17

Kiki17 New Egg

Jun 20, 2017
    Still not sure what happened, but she died this afternoon. Hoping it won't affect the rest of the flock.

10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Hi! It's Wicked's Twin Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sorry, I missed the age the first time.
    I doubt there was anything that you could have done to help her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by