My pullet keeps most of her day on her butt.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Burb Farmer, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Burb Farmer

Burb Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2013
    Portland Or.
    Sometimes I notice her yawning consecutively as well. Clearly the lowest on the pecking order of four. Not old enough for laying behavior. walks to her food ...runs away from peckers but any other time in the day... on her butt.
    help

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you please post a picture of her? Can you give us more clues to her condition please. Example is she puffed up? Any sounds when she breathes? Coughing sneezing or mucus present? How is her poo? When you say on her butt do you mean sitting or what? Look listen and feel for any abnormalities and please post. Is she unusually sleepy? I know this is a lot of questions but each question is a clue to specificic illnesses. Example would be if she were puffed up lethergic very sleepy that could be a sign of coccidosis. So please can you give us a few more clues to go by? When she sits are her legs in normal positions or are they streatched out? If we have more clues perhaps we can be of help. Is she sitting on a nest empty or not? Clues would be very helpful. Thanks.

3. Burb Farmer

Nov 2, 2013
    Portland Or.
    [​IMG]

Ezzy does not have a breathing trouble that I can tell.
    Both my pullets were treated with antibiotics for a chicken flu weeks ago although
    my Brahma was the only one with symptoms.
    She does this sit all the time and wherever. When she walks or runs she seems
    fine. I just raised their feeder in hopes that she will use her legs more.
    Her legs are always straight out with most her weight resting on her knee or elbow(whatever joint that is where the feathers stop and scale legs begin.

4. Burb Farmer

Nov 2, 2013
    Portland Or.
    She doesn't seem puffed up or sleepy. Just content.
    poo is solid and regular colored.
    seems to eat, just not as much as her sister.
    I haven't checked for abnormalities yet.
    Roderick

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do her legs seem to be weak or stiff at all? Has she always done this, or did this just start a few weeks ago? If she's acting normal and healthy otherwise, she may be fine.

6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Are her legs stiff? When she does walk is she walking normally or is it a stiff walk? Any limping that you can see? How about any weight loss? I would start out by trying a poultry vitamin regiment with B1 in it.it very well could be a vitamin deficency. I would start there and see if she improves. There are other things that can cause limping and stiff legs like Mareks disease. You might want to google it if you have never heard of it.it can be as subtle as a limp all the way to full paralysis. was she vaccinated for Mareks? I would start by giving a good vitamin regiment and see if she improves. It very well could be a vitamin defiency causing this behavior. Hope this helps. Best wishes

7. Burb Farmer

Nov 2, 2013
    Portland Or.
    Thank you for your speedy replies..both of you. I will try b1 vitamins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by