My Pullet Keeps On Getting Out Of The Yard!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Amitist, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Hey Everybody! I have a RIR/Sussex that keeps on getting out of the yard. The fences don't have any affect, it just easily flies over them. Is there a way to stop this?

2. cami

cami Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    so does my orpington i wanna know the answer to this to....i think that clipping their wings would work pretty well though.

3. DurangoCal

DurangoCal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    Have you tried clipping her wing? There are directions in the Learning Center on how to do this.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If it helps, most aren't nearly as agile once they're fully grown, at least most of the bigger breeds (the orpington surprised me...mine has a hard time getting up to the roost). Now RIRs I'm not sure about... My girls never go over the fence, although it's just 4 ft. But I have a really large yard, so they have tons to do on THIS side [​IMG] Many just clip the feathers on one wing...

5. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    Ours are almost 22 weeks old now, and even with clipped wings, they are flying over the 4 foot tall fence. I spend 25% of my day catching chickens to put them back in their yards.

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Rob,

Did you clip both wings? If you did, that still allows the hens to fly.

7. Amitist

Amitist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Erlanger, KY
    Clipping its wings does seem like a good idea BUT I saw it CLIMB the fence using it claws (feet). I can't clip of its toes! I'm afraid that it might get hurt someday [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What about an enclosed run? Your neighbors might ease up if you keep your one bird under control......

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Same here robk. I found how to clip wings here on BYC. Earlier this week, I chose to clip only one wing on about 12 chickens that would repeatedly jump the fence (the alpaca fence...it's still our land they're on). Not 2 hours after I clipped them, about 4 of them got out again. Every day about 4-7 out of the 12 I clipped get out. I know I clipped them right...it wasn't difficult. Now I'm on the fence about clipping the other wing. I wonder why it is suggested only one wing be clipped? My understanding is it throws their balance off. Clearly, the clipping did not affect the balance of some! [​IMG]

10. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    we tried clipping one wing, we tried clipping both wings, it doesn't matter. they still fly right over the 4ft fence lolÂ…

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by