My pullet laid 3 OUNCE EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barry Natchitoches, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have six hen pullets. 3 are Rhode Island Reds, and 3 are Buff Orpingtons. They are 26 or 27 weeks old now.

Today I went outside to find 3 eggs in the nests.

Two were normal sized (1.75 ounces, give or take a quarter ounce).

But the third egg was a full 3 ounces! I weighted it on my well calibrated, electronic kitchen scale.

I am not sure, but I think it was the RIR hen that I named "Sassy" because she will stand up to me and talk back to me if I refuse to give her scratch when she thinks she should be given some. I mean this gal will actually jump up and peck my empty hand if I don't have scratch in it, and she wants some.

The reason I think it might have been Sassy who laid it is that alot of time (most of the time, actually) Sassy will not squat down like some of the other chickens do when I go to stroke her back.

But this morning, not long before the Jumbo Plus egg was laid, I went in the pen and barely got near Sassy and she squatted down lower than the chickens normally squat when petted.

I thought then "I bet Sassy's about to lay an egg" but I had to leave home, so I couldn't stay around to verify that.

Isn't the squatting an indicator that they are about to lay an egg?

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    yep. I bet it is a double yolker. I bet there was a bit of squawkin after too.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Is your name pronounced "Nack-It-Tush" like the city in Louisiana?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    When my RIR's started laying, I got a lot of double yokers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    i imagine it is pronounced nack-i-doches.... like the town in texas? i dunno....

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet it's the RIR- and congrats!
    We have golden comets which are RIR red x RIR white, and we get a few of these daily. Get used to it! They produce so WELL...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by