My Pullet Laid an Egg at 9 Weeks, Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lisamairey, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Lisamairey

Lisamairey Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    One of my new chickens (hatched in April) just laid an egg. It is very small (1/4 the size of a normal egg). At first, I thought it was a bird's egg (fallen from a nest)...but it is far too big for that. And yet, my chickens are too young to start laying.

I am integrating the new girls with my existing. Of course, my new girls are on Start and Grow but I do see them nibbling on Layer feed when they are out of the coop. Could this be the reason for such precocious egg laying?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

eating layer feed does not cause a pullet to lay early

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So your new birds are in with your existing layers, correct? In that case, it's not a precocious layer, it's a wind/fart/fairy egg from one of your established layers. It's a glitch that happens from time to time in any bird.

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not really a glitch. Its called a pullet egg and she is getting ready to keep on laying eggs.
    Start providing her with oyster shell.
    I would be excited to get eggs at that age. First young hen too lay was 14 weeks.
    Its a chicken and they are all different.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    X2. It's from one of your current layers, and not from the youngsters. You aren't going to get an egg from a 9 week old pullet,

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It actually can be from a very young hen. Some do mature faster and she might not lay another egg for awhile?
    Or as you stated its from her other hens having fairy farts. As we call them or Rooster eggs.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by