My pullet mounting other pullets at (30 weeks old)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FireGurl26, Nov 3, 2016.

1. FireGurl26

FireGurl26 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2016
    U.P. Michigan
    Ok. This is crazy. I have 6-30 week old RIR pullets. They have been laying for some time now. The one stopped laying about a week or so ago, and now she is starting to mount a few of my Barred Rock pullets (24 weeks old). we do not have any cockerels in our flock. I know this girl is the most dominant pullet out of all my girls. She does not crow, nor have any spurs or bumps. I am pretty positive she is a pullet, besides the fact she has already layed eggs. I have read some crazy articles that say a pullet can turn into a cockerel. I don't know if that is true or not...but it is crazy seeing her mounting other girls. I am hoping it is just a dominance thing. She doesn't squat for me, but some of my others don't either. She has always been very close with me. In that she hops on my lap, talks, and lays on me while i pet her. Should i be worried? Anyone else have this issue?

2. The Chicken Fan

The Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Oregon
    I have a RIR who mounts my other girls. She lays eggs and squats, but she does have mini spurs. She doesn't crow so I just think it's a show of dominance. Even though the mini spurs are a little weird

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Cross-over sex traits and characteristics are always possible in chickens due to their having both male and female sex cells. This is not the same as sex hormones, by the way.

Due to the presence of both female and male sex cells, a chicken may, usually due to extreme environmental stress, start acting, and even looking, like the opposite sex.

Since RIRs are known for aggression, and the fact you have no rooster in the flock, what's occurring is not that unusual.

4. FireGurl26

FireGurl26 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2016
    U.P. Michigan
    Thanks for the replies. I never knew that they carried both female and male sex cells. Very interesting indeed. Maybe the stress of them being new layers caused it. Usually RIRs are aggressive, but of course mine have to be different lol. Glad to hear it is not that unusual. I am assuming that she will never be able to fertilize an egg...or will she if she uses the male sex cells?

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Party on Wayne, Party on Garth Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most mature hens want a rooster, and have the desire to be mated in order to reproduce. When no male is available a female will often start to fill the role and will simulate mating and act like a rooster. I currently have all female muscovy ducks, I have watched repeatedly as one of the hens has taken to trying to mate with the other females, so it occurs with most species as the desire to reproduce is a strong instinct.

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's probably just dominance mounting......mounting is not always about sex/mating/reproduction.
    No, I don't believe she will ever be able to fertilize her 'sisters'.
    The POL hormone surge can cause more aggression, pecking orders can be shifting, so that could be increasing her aggression.
    She may calm down as some time passes, everyone's laying and the pecking order is balanced out....or she may be a bully forever.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by