my pullet will be a good mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seminolewind, Oct 18, 2007.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 3 Jersey Giant 5 week old chicks, and a 5 month old BO. I put them in the coop for the night, and sat on a pail. My BO found herself a nice roost area, then the chicks jumped up, and tried to get underneath her (mind you, they are not far from her size at this time), then my BO Clarisse spread her wings and covered them just like a good mom would.

2. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    Awww - that is so sweet!

3. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Aww... that is sweet! It's nice to hear when chickens get along!

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    How sweet, BO are the best mama's. [​IMG]

5. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Buffs made very good foster broodies and by this time next spring you will probably be cursing cause she will go broody and probably stay that way all summer lol. Even when they weaned their chicks they will go back to being broody and they can be very persistent! This is probably their only downfall. Australorps are very good mothers too. Buffs are the best incubators hands down.

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Oh that's so sweet! [​IMG] I had a Silkie girl adopt all my hatchery chicks this year. When I put them out at 6 weeks she paced and paced to get in the pen with them, so I let her in. She protected those little babies, called them over for food, and wouldn't let any other bird near them. She was still "protecting" them when they got to be as big as her!

7. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Is it just BO's that are good mom's? What about black, blue, and splash? Is it the orpington that makes them good momma's? I LOVE the shape of the orpington. I would be an orp if I was a chicken. [​IMG]

Tonya

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think no matter how I get the fertile eggs, I will let her take care of them , Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by