My Pullets are 11 months old and I have not gotten an egg from any of them.

FloydMayfeather

Hatching
Mar 14, 2021
I have 5 barred rock pullets that I got last April and they have yet to lay a single egg. The only explanation I can come up with is poor diet over previous months when I had to spend some time out of town and had my mother coming over to care for them while I was gone. With her being being 100% inexperienced in raising chickens, I should have done a better job explaining just how much (atleast a 1/4lb a day each from what I’ve read) they needed to be consuming a day so unfortunately they did go a few months receiving less than adequate nutrition which I couldn’t feel more guilty about. I guess my main question is now that I’m back and wasting no time in getting their diet where it is supposed to be, are there any particular things I can do extra to fast track their becoming healthier and remedying the calcium and/or protein deficiency I imagine they have?

getting their diet where it is supposed to be, are there any particular things I can do extra to fast track their becoming healthier and remedying the calcium and/or protein deficiency I imagine they have?
I usually wait until the 1st egg before using laying pellets but at 11months old you could start now and that with a little free range time would be sufficient. I do not weigh my feed an open feeder that stays full. Also some calcium after they start laying.
If they had a slow down (malnutrition or whatever it may have been) last summer/fall and didn't start laying before the short winter days they may wait until about now for the days to get longer and spring time weather/warm up.

Thanks so much for the responses! They don’t free range just because I have a plethora of coyotes and foxes around my property so I like to keep them close but I built the run and coop they’re in to comfortably suit all 9 that I originally had. As far as laying signs I can’t say there’s been many. Some seem to be a little more interested in their nesting boxes I made and I suppose their combs and waddles are a little redder than before but that’s about it.

Back
Top Bottom