My pullets are being so mean to the new roo. What can I do??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Break an Egg, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have 2 BO and 2 SLW pullets around 6 months old. I also have an EE (1yr old) and a OEGB (5 months old) I added a young phoenix roo and pullet to the combonation on August 30th and the BO's and SLW's are still being mean to the nubies. I figured this will stop when the roo starts mating all the hens. So far, I haven't seen him mate any of the girls, even the phoenix pullet, but he has started crowing. Luckily, he only crows in the early morning.

When can I expect the girls to get along with the roo? Can I expect him to start crowing all the time?

2. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    [​IMG] Anyone?

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A roo has to earn his way to the top of the pecking order. As soon as he starts taking charge, cowboy ups, there will be a whole new set of rules. He probably just needs to mature a bit more. My motto? If they aren't drawing blood, let them sort it out. Human interference does nothing but prolong the process.

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I am trying to get friendly with them so they will stay in my yard but my hens are running them off. I did notice it was a bit better today.

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by