My pullets are laying right on time, even with Winter nearly here!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Dec 18, 2008.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I have 10 pullets in a separate coop that were born in the middle of July, except for 3 Frizzles that I'm not exactly sure of, but I think they're close. I purchased the Frizzles from a breeder (not professional, but she enjoyed raising the babies) but she didn't keep any records and I'm not sure her memory was that good! She did seem a bit confused because she had a lot of chicks born at different times. But her chickens are absolutely adorable--one of them looks like a Sizzle (Silkie/Frizzle) and it is the cutest thing I ever saw!

Well, way back when, Hubby asked me when I thought this group of chickens would start to lay. I told him that they should lay just before Christmas but that I wasn't sure because of the winter weather.

The 10 pullets consist of 4 RIR's, 3 Frizzles, 2 Cochin bantam mixes, and one tiny bantam (have no idea what she is but she's so small, she could be kept in a bird cage)!

Last Thursday, there was one brown egg, which I attribute to one of the RIR's (two of them have larger, red combs). Then there were no eggs until Sunday, when I found another brown egg. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, there was another egg each day. But today, there were 4 eggs!

From what I have observed, 2 were from the RIR's, and the other two were from the Cochin mixes. I saw both Cochins being very interested in the nests and staying in the coop much longer than usual. This is so exciting because we hatched both of the Cochins and the tiny bantam from fertile eggs that were given to us! If that little one lays an egg, it will probably be the size of a marble!

I hope the day comes when I get 10 eggs from these 10 hens--can't wait to see what tomorrow brings! Genie

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  3. luvmygirlsinAK

luvmygirlsinAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Pole, Ak
    Congratulations!! I remember when we got our first egg. I was at a store and got a phone call about it. I was so excited, I think people surely thought I was absolutely nuts!!! [​IMG] It is definitely something to be excited about, that's for sure![​IMG]

4. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    How Exciting!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And how GOOD were YOU at picking the week when they would lay (weather or no weather)!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can't wait until I have chickens (early 2009) and eggs (???2009)

Have an omelet for Christmas!![​IMG]

Cindy

5. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    That's great! Ya, I'm one of those weird people who get excited over getting an egg. My friends who are not so chicken obsessed are getting tired of me sending egg pictures.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Oh yeah, rub it in!

7. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Quote:Thats why we are here at BYC .....post your photos here. We never get tired of photos like this....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by