My pullet's leg joint is red and swollen, what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lbc1, Nov 11, 2013.

1. lbc1

lbc1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

She's been a little lethargic for a few days but she kept perking back up so I didn't think it was serious. I'd been giving her electrolytes in her water. Tonight I decided to bring her in since she was still looking a little down and I noticed right at her lower leg joint where the feathers end, she has an ugly scab, swollen up and a few red swollen spots on the same leg. The other leg is fine. Her feet are a little cold to the touch and she's breathing heavy now, but still eats, drinks and walks around. I don't think it's bumble foot ... Could this be marek's related? I've lost some chickens to it earlier this year. Just a cut maybe? I went ahead and started antibiotics in her water once I saw the scab.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. lbc1

lbc1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    I put some neosporin (not the pain relief kind) on the spots... It looks like a cut at the leg joint, where the scab is. Could the other red, raised spots be signs of infection?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she had any respiratory symptoms?

4. lbc1

lbc1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2013
    She's been breathing a little heavy, sometimes she opens her mouth slightly to breathe, but her eyes and nose are clear and clean. No sneezing or discharge.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might look up mycoplasma synoviae to see if it sounds like that--just Google it. I can't post any links right now. There are some Mareks people on here who might have an opinion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by